We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks to go - Should be excited

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
995 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Two weeks to go - Should be excited

Exactly two weeks to go before I may/may not go to Bahia Coba.

Because of the volcanic ash situation I'm finding it difficult to look forward to my holiday as I don't want to get excited only to find I can't go like last year. We were due to go at exactly the same time last year and the holiday was cancelled due to Swine Flu. Deja Vu or what........

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks to go - Should be excited

I feel your pain HMB- I am in the same boat (and may literally be, at this rate), due to go out in just under 3 weeks. Same situation as last year when we had to switch to Cuba. No such contingencies this year, I fear.

My wife has started to wash, iron and pack our clothes in the hope that all goes well, but I am somewhat pessimistic at best.

All we can do is watch and wait.

T99

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
995 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks to go - Should be excited

Yes, at least last year we had a weeks warning. The holiday was cancelled and we had the option of money back or going elsewhere. This time we will literally be left to the last minute before we find out if we can or can't go. By which time the chances of rebooking anywhere decent will be pretty slim.

On the other hand I do feel the pain of all the people who are stranded at the ports and desperate to get home for work/family commitments. But as for those "stranded" in the Bahia resort for an extra week. Well they are just damned lucky!!

Manchester
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks to go - Should be excited

We're inthe same boat here. We are meant to be going next wednesday, so god knows. the whole situation has put a downer on it all. I don't really wanna start packing, because deep down I already know We won't be going. I will still be going to the Hairdressers though, just to keep up the spirit.

I haven't seen any planes yet and we live quite close to the airport. So we'll just have to wait and see.

We would have to cancel completely anyway, because of our stupid holiday system at work.

Imight make a start on the packing in a minute and hope for the best.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
545 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks to go - Should be excited

I really feel for you guys. :( I wish it weren't so. I hope it clears up so you can enjoy your holiday. Two years in a row is so unfair!

st helens
Level Contributor
306 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks to go - Should be excited

Hopefully good news British airports re-opening 22.00 tonight, we all might be going after all. Fingers crossed for the next couple of weeks so that everyone gets there don't really care what happens after that as I don't mind being trapped in Mexico for an extra weel or two, only problem is I probably will not be able to fit in my clothes. Hopefully see you all soon.

CHESHIRE
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two weeks to go - Should be excited

we too were cancelled with 12 hours notice last year and have been cancelled again for the 19th april.

now re booked for the 4 may from manchester keep all them fingers crossed.

it will be our first time to this resort and need advice as the best hotel on thi complex

help!!!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
995 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Two weeks to go - Should be excited

Dont know if this is good news or bad but at least now you get to spend your holiday time with myself and IWABS!!!!! You can't miss him - he's green and wears a sombrero!

Lets just hope the airports do get opened tonight. I know the winds are set to change direction by the weekend and that should help matters just have to hope things keep improving.

John I'm assuming you are going to the Bahia as you mentioned you didnt know what was the best resort on the complex. I sent an email off to the hotel requesting the Coba resort. Its not beach front but its our favourite and have stayed in that section on our last 3 visits. Its newer that the other two hotels, pools are great, has more restaurants based in that section and we don't mind the walk to the beach.

London, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Two weeks to go - Should be excited

Feeling for you guys :(

We have 33 days to go (not that I'm counting!) and am preparing for the disappointment if we can't go. Who knows how long the eruption is going to go on for?? Just got to sit and wait. Shame that instead of the great holiday build up we normally have, we're trying to hold ourselves back from getting excited and looking forward to it.

Camdenton, Missouri
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Two weeks to go - Should be excited

Well, with less than 10 days till our arrival, I hope to see everyone being able to make it. I too, hope the sky will open up and allow normal travel!!!

Last year's swine flu caused a lot of grief and our resort was very very quiet.

Vacation should be full of fun and lots of sun! Say lots of Prayers and keep a positive mind!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
819 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two weeks to go - Should be excited

I am hoping all of you can go too! Last year it was way too quiet without all of you! and not enough people to have alot of fun with! Hope to see you all in a couple of weeks! i will keep my fingers crossed for all of you!