We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal off shore snorkeling

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Akumal off shore snorkeling

I am looking for an AI with off shore snorkeling. We have stayed at Barcelo and Akumal Beach Resort. We did not like Barcelo and loved ABR the first time. On our second visit the place had gone down hill so much that I am not interested in returning.

What other resorts in this area have good off shore snorkeling? I realize that nothing will compare to ABR. I was looking at Grand Oasis Riviera Maya and Grand Sirenis. Any off shore snorkeling at these two?

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal off shore snorkeling

Might want to take a second look at ABR, the Italian company that was managing it, Venta, went bankrupt and the Mexican owners took over and are making a big effort to fix it up, improving the food, etc.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal off shore snorkeling

The snorkelling at Xaac Bay (the location of the Sirenis) is so-so. It's better at the GORM, but reviews for the GORM are a mixed bag. You don't want to book a jungle view room--I haven't read anything positive from folks who have stayed in those rooms.

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal off shore snorkeling

55vineyard,

I have been to ABR three times and it would take more than a little sprucing up for me to ever go back. The first time I was there it was just close to an OK resort with great snorkeling. The second time it was not even OK and the third time it was down right horrible. For the price that ABR charges, I am very hesitant. I have been going to other resorts in the Akumal or Puerto Aventuras area and taking a taxi to Akumal for some great snorkeling. I have found a few resorts that have interesting snorkeling right off shore and I thought I would look for a few other resorts with that off shore snorkeling.

Now, I'm sure everyone is asking themselves, why go three times to this resort if it wasn't the best. I was fine with that barely OK resort because the beach and snorkeling were good. So, I went back a second time. Thinking that the second time was some sort of fluke, I did it a third time. From this you can see that I don't need luxury but, I do want something above horrible and the price should be reflected in the picture. An OK resort should have an OK price. Even if ABR has once again become an OK resort, the price is still too much for that place. IMHO.

Thanks, for both of your answers. I hope I get some more. Any suggestions are helpful.

Edited: 25 April 2010, 15:14
Southern California
Level Contributor
13,583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal off shore snorkeling

You might take a look at CRT, it gets pretty good reviews, is close to Akumal (at Xpuha Beach) and is supposed to have pretty decent snorkeling, although the reef is farther out. It is adults-only however if that is a concern, cannot remember if you mentioned if you are taking children or not.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal off shore snorkeling

Would you consider a non-AI?? The Hotel Akumal Caribe/Villas Maya is right there on Akumal Bay, with restaurants so close, you probably would walk further to eat at most of the AIs. We love the Villas Maya bungalows. Each hotel room & bungalow has a fridge, so you can keep stocked up with drinks & snacks. And I have to say that the food at the local restaurants is much better than most AI fare. Another non-AI in Akumal is Vista del Mar, on Half Moon Bay. It's right by La Buena Vida restaurant. There's a lot of condos, casitas, and villas in Akumal also.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal off shore snorkeling

I have stayed at the Bahia Principe, Palladium, Sunset Riviera and the Barcelo. The best snorkeling right from the beach was at the Barcelo.

calgary alberta
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal off shore snorkeling

We just got back from the Akumal Beach Resort and loved it. We went primarily for the snorkelling off the beach but found the food to be pretty good (better than we were expecting).The room was fine and all in all I thought we paid a reasonable price for what we received.

philadelphia pa
Level Contributor
375 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal off shore snorkeling

We also enjoyed ABR...and for $78/night per person for AI, I thnk its beyond reasonable! We were there in November and it clearly needed some improvements, but we still enjoyed our stay. Looking forward to seeing what changes have been made when we return in November of this year.

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Akumal off shore snorkeling

I really didn't want this to turn into a ABR debate. On my last visits, I don't think it was worth staying there. That is my opinion.

In defense of my statement that the price should reflect what you get, I did some looking for November prices. I checked prices on only one site and that was Apple Vacations. I used direct air and hotel package and this is what I found. I checked the prices for a week.

For the same price as ABR you can stay at VIva Wyndam Azteca or Maya. For $80 more per week, you can stay at Sandos. For $50 more you can stay at Catalonia Riviera Maya. For $40 per week more you can stay at Catalonia Playa Maroma. For $80 per week more you can stay at Grand Coco Beach. I have stayed at three of these rexorts and all gave you much more for your money than ABR except, of course, for that wonderful snorkeling. Oncew again, this is only my opinion.

I don't see anything special about a November price of $78 pp. It's just a matter of my trying to find good to great snorkeling at resort better and, imho, priced better than ABR.

I would go back to ABR if I thought I would get what I got on my first vacation because of the snorkeling. Other resorts in my above list were miles ahead of ABR in every way but, I am looking for a place with decent snorkeling and a decent resort. ABR, imho, does not fit that requirement based upon my last two visits.

Thans for all the help everyone gave to me. I will look into some of your suggestions and stay away from those you don't think fits what I want.

Edited: 28 April 2010, 16:53
Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Akumal off shore snorkeling

We have just returned from the CRT, and the facility was good, what we did was jump into a collectivo and headed to Akumal Beach a couple of times, had a great time was a very easy process, great snorkeling. We just returned on Sunday...

Cheers

Marjorie