We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP Or Barcelo Maya

Surrey
Level Contributor
91 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
GBP Or Barcelo Maya

Would like advice on which resort you would choose of these two if you had the opportunity and why ?

Thanks Ade

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP Or Barcelo Maya

Barcelo is currently my first choice. I love the beach and the snorkeling right there. Having said that, if staying at the Barcelo you need to choose your resort carefully. If you stay on the Beach/Caribe side, you do not have access to the air conditioned buffets of the Colonial/Tropical along with a restriction in the number of ala cartes you can attend without paying extra. I have done the Barcelo 3 times(Beach 2, Colonial 1) and the GB twice (Akumal and Tulum). I prefer the Colonial at the Barcelo and the Tulum at GB.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
323 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP Or Barcelo Maya

I would also choose the Barcelo, but like the previous poster mentioned, in the Colonial section. The restaurants with a/c are great and the food was better overall at Barcelo. The staff were friendlier at GBP, but the pool cleanliness and beach are much better at Barcelo. While we were at GBP last week, we wished we were at the Barcelo again instead!

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP Or Barcelo Maya

There is always the issue of cost. Looking at June 6, 1 week, PP, taxes in, out of Toronto:

GBP Akumal Golden Club Jr. Suite - $829

Barcelo Maya Colonial Prestige Club Jr. Suite - $1,939

Barcelo seems way overpriced to me.

Edited: 27 May 2010, 01:07
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP Or Barcelo Maya

I've stayed at both as well and I also prefer the Barcelo......yes, the GBP was alot cheaper, but you get what you pay for......the GBP is a lovely resort, the grounds are beautiful and all the pools are as nice as the Barcelo, but I found the food and the beach to be way better at Barcelo. I guess it depends what's most important to you.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP Or Barcelo Maya

Been to both and hands down Bahia - food is better, service is better. Although I loved the beach at Barcelo, I keep going back to Bahia because it is simply that much better.

6. Re: GBP Or Barcelo Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 06:25