We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal Trip Report

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Akumal Trip Report

Day 7- Akumal

This trip starts in Isla Mujeres and Valladolid. Those reports can be found :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150810-i360-k3782…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g499453-i9228-k380…

We arrived in Akumal around 4 pm – a lot later then we anticipated – but we are on vacation and taking our time with everything. We booked the Half Moon Bay Condo through Hotel Akumal Caribe. It was everything the photos promised ! Like usual Mexican tradition the beds are hard and so is the sofa – no surprise and certainly not so hard it’s unbearable - we are water front ! About 20 steps from the back door and your toes are in the water! We are hungry so we head to Lol-ha snack bar. We’ve been there several times before and we know it is pricy – but for lack of wanting to discuss and cuss of a better place to eat – we go with what we know. The 4 of us got out of there for about $90 – no cocktails – just water and cokes. Not a surprise for me – but still – all I got was a small 4 cheese pizza and it was $170 pesos. Anyway- we were wiped out from the traveling so went back to the condo and enjoyed some time there for the evening. This is where my vacation took a terrible nose dive. I got the Revenge with a Vengeance that evening ! Can’t say it was any one thing that could have given it to me – can’t blame Valladolid food / water or Akumal. I have been coming to Mexico for 8 years and have always brushed my teeth with the water – I have always eaten off the beaten track. Could have been water – food – heat ! Who knows – but lets just say I got to know the HMB restrooms very well. The doors slam by the way – oh – and in the master bath the wall has glass tiles and free space squares so every sound you make goes directly to the living room ! And my family is cruel – everyone had a laugh at my expense.

Day 8 Akumal

The next morning I had brought some pepto bismol with us and I took two doses before heading out to snorkel. I’m on vacation – I’ll deal with some stomach issues ! When we went out to the beach area to say hello to the day we found HUGE turtle tracks in front of our condo and a big hole she had dug right beside it with a new nest marking ! We were so disappointed we had all that action right out our back door and missed it ! Oh well – off to breakfast we go. We went to Akumal Loncheria – much more my price range !!! Breakfast was great – 2 of us had French toast and 2 of us had egg & sausage & bacon. We were all pleased and stuffed and walked away for $23. We went over to the hotel because with Condo #1 you get all hotel privileges. They pulled some loungers out for us under some trees – we sat around a little to let our food digest – then headed into the water ! Absolutely wonderful ! We’ve been several times to Akumal and have seen some turtles and some rays – but this time was abundant ! We saw fish we have never seen ! A long oval shaped fish primarily yellow with bluish green trim all around it – with a needle / sword type point in front. I have looked up baby marlin, swordfish, and I know what a needle fish is – it is none of those – so if you know – I would love to see a pic of it on the internet ! Hopefully our pics of it came out – I don’t know yet. After snorkeling all around we got wore out – went back to the loungers – we watched as a pretty ominous looking storm started coming across the bay so decided to head back to the condo and either try snorkeling from there or coming back later in the afternoon. By the time we got back to the condo – I started to feel worse. I laid there in stomach pain agony – pepto had lost it’s battle ! I laid on the sofa for the rest of the day watching movies. I got a fever / chills and felt nausea all day and into the night ! I sent my family out to eat with out me – they chose La Buena Vida – they all said the place is really cool looking – the food was just OK. However, they brought me back a chicken queso quesadilla that I thought rocked ! But alas – could only eat one little square because my poor poor belly said NO! I did start to get concerned now that I had the fever and chills – thinking – could it be dengue fever starting ? I didn’t have any visable mosquito bites – but you never know. Then I thought – I probably was just getting so absolutely dehydrated and no matter what needed to start drinking more water ! So I did. We watched outside for a while to see if any turtles made there appearance – but by 10:30 I was done and ready for bed. My son stayed outside – met a girl his age – she had a cast on her leg (and some rum) so when another turtle came to lay eggs way down the beach and they could see people gathered he helped her down there so they can see it. He said it was the size of our square coffee table and a very awesome experience. I am sorry I missed it – but very glad at least one of us got the opportunity of a life time! This alone makes me know – we will be back in Akumal to stay for longer then a 2 nights !

Day 9 Akumal and Cozumel

This morning was check out and our trek over to Cozumel. I was feeling better this morning as I had no more fever or chills – but the other issue was still there – so more Pepto for me. We ate again at the Loncheria and this is the day I met my new best friend. We went into the Super Chomex next door to the Loncheria and my husband – speaking Spanish ( Thank you God) asked the lady at the check out what she suggested for my dilemma. She pointed out Lominal (sp?) and I bought 6 pills. You pay for each individual pill – not a box – which is different – but great because why buy more then you need. She said I only needed 2 – but I wasn’t taking any chances. By the time we got to the ferry I was feeling MUCH better – Lominal I love you !!!!! I took one more dosage and was great !!!! By this point of our trip I was so tired of lugging baggage I just couldn’t wait to get to our condo that we were parking ourselves for the next 8 days !

We used Easyway car rental and at this point we had a hard time finding them to bring back the car since we picked it up in Cancun and they picked us up at the Isla Mujeres ferry. After my husband called and said we were looking for them they told us they were on 10 ave between Calle 2 & 4. We had passed it so many times we could not find it !!! Then the man was standing in front of the building and it was a big DUH moment. There it was – on the big sign Easyway – look for the green and white sign. I must say – so far we are very happy with the service and price of Easyway – we will definitely use them again as long as our credit card gets billed accordingly. They drove us as close to the ferry dock as possible. Once there – it was a mad house ! It was noon time and it was totally packed. I kept seeing them load people into this one ferry and kept thinking – no way can they fit any more people on there – but they kept putting more and more. We were very close to the entrance and I was starting to panic about getting on the ferry with mixed emotions of wanting to get to Cozumel asap – but not like a sardine with 6 pieces of luggage ! Then all of a sudden they closed the rope – we were 10 people away from the front – and I thought – well now we have another hour to wait. But then all of a sudden they opened it back up and started to divert us to a different ferry – I was so happy. This ferry was practically empty when it took off – we all sat very comfortable in the AC and had some cokes !

To be continued on the Cozumel site !

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,307 posts
1. Re: Akumal Trip Report

Great report

Thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
164 posts
2. Re: Akumal Trip Report

On the Mapchick web site one of their freebies is a 3-page color chart of fish you might spot while snorkeling. Can you locate your fish there?

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Akumal Trip Report

drgeo- no it's not there. We also have Franko's Mexican Caribbean Reef creatures Guide and it wasn't on that either. It's a mystery !

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
4. Re: Akumal Trip Report

Sorry to hear you got so sick! Glad you got what you needed forit.

I think your fish may have been a ballyhoo.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Akumal Trip Report

that's it !!!! Thanks so much !!!!

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Akumal Trip Report

Getting caught up to date here on rainy Cozumel . Here is the next installment.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k38062…

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Akumal Trip Report

Finished updating photo site too ! All 1400 so far ! Egads !

http://txgal.shutterfly.com/1896

Level Contributor
214 posts
8. Re: Akumal Trip Report

The pill you got is called Lomotil... I also got it last year in Mexico when I got sick.

Seriously, one pill really does do the trick right! :) I have one left I'm taking on our upcoming trip just in case...way better than immodium.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: Akumal Trip Report

I've completed another installment on the Cozumel forum for those interested.

vancouver
Level Contributor
603 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Akumal Trip Report

Lomotil is MUCH stronger than Immodium. It is made up of two drugs, one being Dipenoxylate which is a prescription NARCOTIC in Canada. No wonder you felt no pain taking two!