We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wear a Vest When Snorkeling, "You'll be Glad You Did" ”

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
504 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Wear a Vest When Snorkeling, "You'll be Glad You Did" ”

Hi, Ya'all

“ Snorkeling Safety - Wear a Vest, "You'll be Glad You Did" ” ”

Here is a post I back in April on vest and snorkeling safety and with a lot of people inquiring about different types and brands of vests and snorkeling, I thought I would bring it up here again

As a lot of new people come on here and some regulars, I think an item that we hardly ever hear about, but read occasionally in the news, is Snorkeling Safety.

Yes there have been people have drowned and some from natural causes, and some well who knows.

"Wear a Vest"

Its the best and cheapest insurance, that you will return to shore to your family and friends.

Hands down the best safety item you can have on your body.

"Yes I am the expert swimmer" or "I am invincible" and "it will never happen to me" sound familiar???

Sound familiar??? especially with the teenagers and some people.

As one poster said always use the buddy system and never go out alone.

One does not ever think of getting, exhausted when way out from shore, or getting a leg cramp like a charlie horse.....ouch, ouch and ......well .... you know the rest of the story...... :O(

So when your about to book those excursions and trips, make sure ask the vendor for, and you your self grab a safety vest for your family members.

Not bothering to get one, by trying to to save a few dollars or euros, etc. its not worth it. The life you save may be your own.

Go enjoy the beautiful Akumal areas with all of the snorkeling, reefs, water, shorelines and last but not least, be safe out there.

Thanks

Snowman :O)

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,516 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wear a Vest When Snorkeling, "You'll be Glad You Did" ”

Excellent reminder Snowman, thank you.

2. Re: Wear a Vest When Snorkeling, "You'll be Glad You Did" ”

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 12:00
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wear a Vest When Snorkeling, "You'll be Glad You Did" ”

Well said. I really am a good swimmer and usually pretty confident in the water, but if I am goin away from the shore I wear a vest. I do get tired, swimming in the ocean can be strenuous. Sometimes I even get a bit scared or panic stricken. Having a vest on reassures me.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wear a Vest When Snorkeling, "You'll be Glad You Did" ”

It makes snorkeling effortless! You can fool around with your camera without having to paddle with one hand and it makes floating over and around coral must safer for both you and the coral, sometimes it comes near the surface.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wear a Vest When Snorkeling, "You'll be Glad You Did" ”

Great post! Having had a frightening near miss while in Egypt. I would have to say

more people should take notice of good advice like this.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
559 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wear a Vest When Snorkeling, "You'll be Glad You Did" ”

Fantastic advise! We have never had any situations while snorkeling, but have gotten pretty tired out there and dragged ourselves back to shore or back to the boat. It was for this reason that we invested in snorkel vests for the whole family this year.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wear a Vest When Snorkeling, "You'll be Glad You Did" ”

Amen!!!

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wear a Vest When Snorkeling, "You'll be Glad You Did" ”

I HATE VESTS ! Claustrophobia when it gets around my neck ! But....with that said - we NEVER get into the ocean with out a floation device. I use an inflatable waist band that you can find for water jogging. It fits well in a suitcase and has saved my rear many times when I get tired ! Like said above too - gives effortless snorkeling so that pictures and enjoyment are the higher on the list then staying afloat !

Safety is number one ! Thanks for the reminder !

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
559 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wear a Vest When Snorkeling, "You'll be Glad You Did" ”

The problem with inflatable waist belts is they will not keep your head above water if you do get in trouble. Vests are made to keep you face up .

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wear a Vest When Snorkeling, "You'll be Glad You Did" ”

Good advice thanks for the post snowman...

Safe travels...jimmy