We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Tulum Ruins - Chichen Itza using Collectivo

T.o.
Level Contributor
35 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Tulum Ruins - Chichen Itza using Collectivo

I will be going to Mexico for the first time and staying at Grad Princpe Coba.

If I want to go see the Tulum Ruins or Chichen Itza, can I use a Collectivo or should I get a taxi?

What would taxi fare cost from Coba to Tulum ruins? I assume taking taxi/collectivo is a better deal then taking the package tours from the resort operators? How safe are the collectivos to use?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Tulum Ruins - Chichen Itza using Collectivo

For Tulum you are close so even a taxi may be cost effective. Just ask when you get there. Colectivo will work as well. Just a cost/convenience trade-off.

Google "mayan riviera map" to see where things are to help you understand the logistics.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Tulum Ruins - Chichen Itza using Collectivo

Suggest getting one or two of Mapchick's maps. Her Mayan Adventure maps covers Chichen Itza, Coba and more. Very useful.

cancunmap.com

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Tulum Ruins - Chichen Itza using Collectivo

It is quite easy to get to Coba, and I recommend it. Chichen Itza would be significantly more difficult, unless you rented a car, or hired a taxi.

Here is how we did Coba:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k327…

If you go take a printed copy of the map of the ruins:

locogringo.com/lgunet/…map.jpg

Tulum is even easier. Just take the colectivo toward Tulum and ask the driver to drop you off at the Ruins intersection. The intersection is just before you get to Tulum village. Here is a good article on the Tulum ruins so you know what you are looking at.

http://www.athenapub.com/tulumint.htm

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Tulum Ruins - Chichen Itza using Collectivo

Ron, I don't think he was talking about the Coba ruins but rather the Bahia Coba as his staring point. But I may be wrong! Chichen Itza would be incredilby difficult by collectivo IMHO.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Tulum Ruins - Chichen Itza using Collectivo

I believe the ADO bus will get you up into the geneal area of Chichen Itza, but not at all sure how you would get from the bus to the ruins. Probably is a taxi once you get there. The problem is the time. You would travel all day and not have much time to tour the site. Coba and/or Tulum are much better choices from GBP.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Tulum Ruins - Chichen Itza using Collectivo

Your hotel is roughly 20 miles from Tulum in one direction and Playa Del Carmen in the other. It is very rural with walking access to the four lane divided freeway. If this sounds bad take heart as the best free snorkelling is where you will be. You can use collectivo's but be aware of the distances and keep the idea of a taxi in the back of your mind for the return trip if you are having too much fun in Tulum townsite a few miles past the ruins and worth a look if you're that close. see website Loco Gringo for free maps and aerial views of the beach and do the google earth thing as mentioned. Cheers!

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Tulum Ruins - Chichen Itza using Collectivo

Tulum by collectivo from your hotel, no problem. Perfectly safe.

Chichen itza is a different story. Book a tour or hire a car. (it's about 3 hours away, tulum is 30-40 mins)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,529 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Tulum Ruins - Chichen Itza using Collectivo

Just for info, the ADO buses let you off in the Chichen parking lot--right at the entrance.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Tulum Ruins - Chichen Itza using Collectivo

I hesitate to recommend collectivos because I am usually driving my own van when I am on 307 and don't much care for the way some of the drivers drive. Some are fine, but who knows? Taxi to the Tulum site shouldn't be too expensive, but ask at the front desk. More than likely they have a price sheet to refer to.

As for Chichen Itza by collectivo...well, it's impossible because the collectivos run north and south on 307 and don't go inland. They were trying a collectivo from Tulum to the archeological site (and the town of) Coba, but I haven't seen much of it for quite some time. Still, that wouldn't get you within an hour of Chichen Itza if it was running. So it's tour, taxi, rental car, or ADO bus. The bus would be easy enough leaving from Tulum. Knowing the time the bus leaves and catching one to come back would probably require an overnight stay in the town of Piste where Chichen Itza is right on the edge of town. Easy to use ADO, but time consuming.

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Tulum Ruins - Chichen Itza using Collectivo

Hello bk19,

Just got back from Mexico for the first time and stayed at the GBP. If you take the tram to the Hacienda and ask for a taxi they will take you to the taxi waiting area. You might have to wait for a van to fill up but it's worth the wait. We paid 30 pesos per person and it was a 15 minute drive to the Tulum ruins. You get dropped off at the market they have there where its a short 5 minute walk to the ruins. A little safer than walking down the highway.

Cost to get into the ruins was 51 pesos or $5 US.

Also, don't take a video camera. They charge you to use one, so if your camera has a video recording take that instead.

No real reason to take a tour guide. There are plaques that are there that describe everything. Or you can follow one of the cruise ship tours that visit there and listen in on their tour.

We didn't go to Chichen-Itza so I can't help you with any info there.