We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happened to the GBP Dolphinarium thread?

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Topic
What happened to the GBP Dolphinarium thread?

I saw it here a few days ago? Has it been pulled? Anyone know why it was pulled?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What happened to the GBP Dolphinarium thread?

The latest post on this forum regarding the dolphinarium, started by Getaway_Ron, has been completely deleted. In fact, it appears that Getaway_Ron has disappeared as a member. His post contained the following quote from Centro Ecologico Akumal (CEA)'s Facebook page (dated Monday, November 22):

Quote:

"Sad news; Hotel Bahia Principe is building a "dolphinarium" on site. I confirmed this directly with the management. Soon, we will have more dolphins on land than in the Caribbean. As visitors to the area, we ask you to consider NOT swimming with dolphins. Thank you. Paul - CEA Director"

http://www.facebook.com/CEA.AKUMAL?ref=sgm

I would think the statement made by the director of CEA can be taken as truth.

As the original poster, I stated this information was controversial, and that people would believe what they wanted to believe, and not necessarily the truth about their favourite resort. In my opinion Gran Bahia lost their status of being "eco-friendly" when they built a golf course; the dolphinarium was just the icing on the cake. Guess the almighty dollars trumps dolphins.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What happened to the GBP Dolphinarium thread?

Hi Durham - thanks for your response. I was able to get back to your original thread (the one I am asking about) thru your profile. I see VSD has asked the thread be closed. I do not know why he would do this nor did I ever know a DE had the right to ask TA to remove an entire thread and TA would act upon such a request.

Controversial or not - why is a DE given the power to close a thread? Did you know DE’s could do this? I didn’t and I am a DE. This is travel worthy information - and the discussion regarding these developments at GBP should not be shut down. This does not make sense to me but thanks for posting a reply. I appreciate it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What happened to the GBP Dolphinarium thread?

Hi BC4ME - I support open and respectful communication that is relevant or helpful to travelers and believe that most members of TA strive to contribute facts and opinions in a meaningful manner. That said - the existence of a dolphinarium had not been disclosed previously the facts seems to offend some forum participants. The thread quickly deteriorated into a series of ridiculous responses that centred on "I'm right - you're wrong - you're lying..." and went downhill from there. VSD had the wisdom to objectively call a close to a discussion that was becoming more personal that factual. In this case, I think it was reasonable to ask TA to close the thread.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What happened to the GBP Dolphinarium thread?

Imagine that, getaway_ron's posts have been deleted.

Just like so many others...... (insert eyeroll)......

It seems a lot of BigBruce's posts are disappearing from here as well....just like a lot of someone else's posts (who shall remain un-named).

Just saying.

I think the topic of the Dolphinarium will remain undecided until we actually see proof - either a pool with dolphins, or one without dolphins. Or until the Bahia 'fesses up on their website or publicly makes a statement. If it's anything like the webcam, we could be siting here twiddling our thumbs for a LONG time!

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What happened to the GBP Dolphinarium thread?

I understand Durham - thanks for the clarification. I admit I did not read the entirety of the thread so I did not fully appreciate the implications to its closure. I will do that so I better understand the discussion.

However - as been mentioned here many times before GBP does read these forums. If they would reveal the facts in this matter (thru the many return guest of the resort that participate in this forum) it would be most helpful and address the skepticism many are feeling.

GBP - silence is not golden in this regard - would love to hear from you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What happened to the GBP Dolphinarium thread?

I think that Getaway_Ron's posts disappeared because she/he had more than one screen name. I'm sure they are still around watching and interacting.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What happened to the GBP Dolphinarium thread?

It is frustrating that we can't talk about some basic things about the acknowledged new "pool" without being censored.

1. Where is it geographically located on the property and what is it near (existing and planned developments/ rooms)?

2. Does it conform to the dimensions of the current Bahia pools (the public ones or the quiet ones) in terms of dimensions and depth? If not what is different about this one?

3. Valid comments from management.

I would be interested in current observations "on-site". I'm not sure why anyone would censor that sort of discussion.

Being very correct here.

Edited: 25 November 2010, 03:59
Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What happened to the GBP Dolphinarium thread?

Thanks for letting us know and regardless that the information is being deleted about the Dolphinarium being build at GBP we are not going anywhere and will be keeping our eyes on this subject as it is very relevant travel info - lots of people may feel unhappy to find themselves at the resort with this type of facility and can avoid going there if they know about this before they book. Lots of other very nice resorts in Riviera Maya and everywhere else that we can visit instead.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What happened to the GBP Dolphinarium thread?

I have been told by the outgoing Direrctor of GBP Coba that it is a salt water pool. He is going to a resort which prides itself on being ecologically sensitive. He leaves this resort in 7 days. Given the foregoing, why would he lie to me ?

Sandi, why do you think BigBruce's posts keep getting deleted ? Do you think he posts under multiple names also ?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What happened to the GBP Dolphinarium thread?

Sandi, do you think BB used to schuss a lot ?