We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobiles in mexico

Jersey C.I
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
mobiles in mexico

Hi there,

travelling to GBP 2nd jan, I will need to take my mobile with me ( having some building work done while away,) so I may need to be in contact with the builders just in case, can I buy a sim card or something similar in mexico otherwise it will be very expensive...Any ideas.........

thanks in advance

Annie

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen, Akumal
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobiles in mexico

We have AT&T and just add the Mexico plan for the time we are there, it's less expensive that way.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobiles in mexico

if you have internet in the room and take a laptop or netbook I would suggest Skype. Buy Skype credits in advance and call any landline or cell phone for approx 2 cents per minute.

MN
Level Contributor
626 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobiles in mexico

I have Verizon and add the international plan for the time we are down there. They put it on and take it off according to the dates you will be there so you don't have to pay for that feature for the entire month's billing. I don't think you can do this with just any type of phone. I think you need to have a global phone.

I'd call my provider and see what they have to say.

Jersey C.I
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mobiles in mexico

Hi

thanks for your replies, but I think I had better call into Jersey telecoms to find out what I should do, Sorry if I sound like a bimbo but I have not heard of AT or a plan. But I,m still looking forward to going , counting down now, only 11 days to go........

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,528 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mobiles in mexico

We have successfully used both AT&T and Verizon. Call your carrier ahead of time and purchase an international plan. With AT&T we shut off the data feature as that is VERY expensive. Least expensive way to stay in touch is to use a computer, either your own or purchase computer time at your resort or an internet cafe. You can also purchase a phone card at most hotels for use with a hotel lobby phone..

Vancouver
Level Contributor
289 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mobiles in mexico

We unlocked our cell phone at home (Vancouver, BC) for 20 bucks, then once in Mexico bought a sim card for 100 pesos (less than $10 US/CDN) we only used it a few times and didn't need to buy more time because the card came with some minutes. Don't know how much it would have been to purchase long distance minutes, but the initial sim card purchase was cheap and easy.

Erie,PA
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: mobiles in mexico

Can anyone tell me firsthand if the ATT reception is good?

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mobiles in mexico

How about sprint? Anybody recently use a sprint phone in Playa and/or Akumal? Just need to know what the reception was like.

I TT sprint yesterday, they say all they have to do is activate my phone.. (free of charge) Then I have to pay the roaming fees..

$1.49 per minute for calls

.50 to send a text / .15 to receive a text

.002 kb for data (about $2 per meg)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mobiles in mexico

We've used AT&T both in Grand Cayman and on Isla Mujeres with very good reception (ok, with "normal" AT&T reception) and at a reasonable cost. They have a Mexico plan which, as mentioned above, can be paid on a pro-rated basis for just the days you're there (you have to call them when you return to turn it off--they don't preschedule an end date). There are roaming charges for calls and a fee per text, but even with all these our bill following trips where we've used our phone has been very close to normal. Maybe an extra $15, all in? Of course, we don't use the phone for idle chat while on vacation.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen, Akumal
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mobiles in mexico

We have used our AT&T cells in all areas from Cancun down to Akumal and have never had a reception issue of any kind. The Mexico plan is $3.99/month and calls are then $0.59/minute, without the plan the rate is &0.99/minute. We also turn off the data and do not text but do use wireless where available with our iPhone to email, etc.