We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small resort in the Riviera Maya area.

Grand Falls...
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Small resort in the Riviera Maya area.

I have family who are travelling to Mexico, looking for a smaller resort in the Riviera Maya area. They do not want the stay at one, play at two or three type thing. They simply want one resort somewhere near Playa Del Carmen and no more than an hour from Cancun. I explained to them about the resort we stayed in last year, Gran Bahia Coba, they are an older group and do not want that long bus ride and they want to be near a town. I think more interested in shopping than sunbathing.. Any help out there !??

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small resort in the Riviera Maya area.

There are few small AI resorts in Playa Del Carmen and few in the Playacar community 5 min taxi from PDC - depends on the money that they are agree to spend - ranging from 3* to 5*.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,855 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Small resort in the Riviera Maya area.

Akumal Beach resort is 1 to 1.25 hrs south of the airport (private transfer - not bus)

Quaint resort on one of the best protected beaches near the small town of Akumal

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small resort in the Riviera Maya area.

Catalonia Royal Tulum at xph-ha beach is a lovely small resort on a fabulous beach, a little over an hour from the airport, good food, lovely layout. I would highly reccomend it, not sure about the shopping, more of a beach lovers hotel though.

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small resort in the Riviera Maya area.

Seeing that you asked for no further than an hour from Cancun...not a long bus ride...and an interest in shopping...I think you may be interested more in either the forums under:

Puerto Moreolas or PDC...

The Catalonia Maramoa maybe what you are looking for??

or if they could stand an hour and 15 minutes (pay for a private transfer...much quicker this way)...then I would suggest the Catalonia Royal Tulum...adults only. Great stretch of beach and only a 20 minute or so collectivo/taxi ride from PDC for shopping etc....

happy planning.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small resort in the Riviera Maya area.

If it's adults only, look at el dorado maroma. Small resort, but on that fabulous maroma beach.

MN
Level Contributor
626 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small resort in the Riviera Maya area.

How about Catalonia Riviera Maya for a smaller resort? You can walk into Puerto Aventuras from there for the marina, shopping, and restaurants, and it's a quick cab ride into Playa del Carmen for more shopping. More about this resort should be found in the Puerto Aventuras forums. Good luck!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small resort in the Riviera Maya area.

Check out Petite Lafitte - intimate hotel with breakfast & dinner on a nice beach just North of Playa.

Upstate, NY
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Small resort in the Riviera Maya area.

How about Grand Coco Bay in PDC? This was my first AI experience and liked it well enough. It's small (200 rooms), Close to the airport (maybe 20 minutes as I recall), and a 10 minute walk to 5th Avenue. TA has it listed as a 3.5*

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Small resort in the Riviera Maya area.

Reef Playacar in PDC is small and intimate. 5 minute cab ride to 5th ave.

MN
Level Contributor
626 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Small resort in the Riviera Maya area.

We stayed at Reef Playacar many years ago and the walk into PDC wasn't bad from there either.