We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach palapas at Grand Palladium?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beach palapas at Grand Palladium?

We are thinking about going to the Grand Palladium Colonial in May and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there are palapas on the beach. If so, are they in front of all 4 of the resorts? Thanks so much!

Cindy

MD - USA
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach palapas at Grand Palladium?

Cindy,

There is a huge section of them kind of stuck in the middle of the beach. The beach in front of them is unfortunatly the worst part of the beach there. Facing the water to the left is where tons of people sit because the beach is best there. If I was you I would sit under a palapa and walk left to swim. The area in front of them is where most people snorkel on site. The beach is large but most people sit in the two area's that I mentioned. There are more to the left past the nice area but part of that section is reserved for the royal suites guests. We had no issue getting them but the resort was half empty when we were there.

Preziam

Washington DC
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach palapas at Grand Palladium?

Thank you Preziam!

Is it true that the best beach is in front of the Colonial/Kantenah side? We are beach people. Glad to hear that there are palapas. I would hate to think that it would be a deal breaker, but my husband really needs the shade as the day wears on. We're trying to decide between Grand Palladium Colonial and Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana. We've been to the Majestic Colonial and love it. We've been to the Iberostars in Playa del Carmen and loved it. I've been very curious about this Grand Palladium. I would welcome any comments. Thanks again!

Cindy

MD - USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach palapas at Grand Palladium?

It is true but it is a short walk on the beach from either side. Click on my name and look for my reviews and you can get a ton of detais. I am like your husband and need shade. If you have more questions after reading my review feel free to pm me. We have been twice, loved it, and would go back.

MD - USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach palapas at Grand Palladium?

Here is a link to my review:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499445-d596646…

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach palapas at Grand Palladium?

There are plenty of palapas along the Kantenah, and White Sand beaches. The Colnial has soe up to the volleyball area and beach bar. Then beyond that is where the boats and water sports take place. The Riviera end has a salt water pool and has palapas staggered aorund the pool - very beautiful and dramatic.

The nicest beach with soft white sand is Kantenah, The Colonial is "busier as it has the boats, water robics, beach volley ball, etc. The White Sand beach has more coral and a shallow reef. The Riviera end is rocky thus the salt water pool.

12 days til I'm back!

All guests at all four resorts can use all amenities (except exclusive Royal area). We have been there 12x and never had a problem finding shade even if the resort is full.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach palapas at Grand Palladium?

The beach at the Kantenah is bigger with more Palapas, Colonial has plenty, however you have more room at the Kantenah as the beach is a bit wider and much deeper, with a better area to swim.

We stayed at the GP Kantenah last Oct, and have just booked for Sept. We also have been to Majestic Colonial (june 10) and the GPK is so much better IMHO.

The Grand Palladium is a amazing resort with so much to do, you will have a fantasic trip, which ever part of the hotel you stay in you will not be disapointed!!!

Regards

Cat.

Level Contributor
479 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach palapas at Grand Palladium?

Hey Washington,

have been twice now and we love, love, love the beach here! I have fair skin and like to sit mainly in the shade of the Palapas while my husband is a sun worshiper and pulls his chair into the sun most of the day. We have stayed in the white sands section the past two vacations and we love the section..you can read my very long review here for details but we like the beach area here also. It has lots of places to sit and you can even put a couple of chairs together so you have some privacy, in this section it is quite long so lots of chairs and people in groups of 2 - 8 even , some with shade, some without. There are trees also and some hamocks here and there. Colonial ( you can see it on the web cam they have ) has a huge section that is chairs in rows in the sun, no shade at all...we noticed that mainly the Europeans seem to fill this section when we have been there but great for those who just don't like the shade much and like to be in the hub with lots of people. As you continue on the beach there are more groupings of chairs, some trees etc and then down to the Kantenah section ...lots of swimming in this area, also in the Colonial, the sandy areas here are perfect ...just shuffle to avoid sting rays who may be sun bathing but you don't need water shoes at all. As you get to the end of the Palladium...the shaded areas are farther up.....not right on the beach but they do have areas with shade and sun for everyone.

If you are down at the white sands end you would have to walk to the swim area, not a big deal or long walk at all and perfectly safe to leave your stuff while you do that, in front of the white sands section is a very rocky area, this is where the snorkelers head but the view is fantastic and the sand is great for walking in ...never wore water shoes ...just my fins when I went snorkeling. The other area past white sands is up to the Salt Water Pool area, very special and unique area, lots of shade and sun and a great swimming area in the salt water pool, water is from the ocean, great views here and you have a bar, washroom and outside shower all right there.

Hope this is helpful

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach palapas at Grand Palladium?

IMHO GP has got the best beach layout and shade availability in the area. Lots of palapas, privacy, shaded trees that can really protect from the sun if you a happen to be over the high season and all palapas are taken - just drug the lounger to the closest tree, some of them on the south end are even better then palapas!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach palapas at Grand Palladium?

Yes there are palapas all over the beach and in Colonial section of the beach are the most numerous. Today I went to the beach at 10.30 am and I could find both free palapas and hammocks.

10. Re: Beach palapas at Grand Palladium?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2012, 06:17