We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal & GP Kantenah Resort & Spa

UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Akumal & GP Kantenah Resort & Spa

Im considering booking a holiday at the Kantenah Resort and Spa. The reviews sound great for this place, although the only downside I can see is its sheer size. Ive only ever been to smaller resorts, but I guess the size will add to its fun of exploring.

I last stayed in PLayacar - @ Riu Tequila and loved it. Being able to get to Playa Del Carmen for a wander round the shops and have a drink in a different bar to the Riu resort, yet enjoy the beach at Playacar.

Is Akumal likely to offer a similar experience ? Are the beaches similar to the one at the Riu Tequila /Yucatan ??

I assume its quite easy to get into PLaya Del Carmen from this resort to get to Coco Bongos for example ??

Hopefully somone can offer me peace of mind just before I book :)

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
200 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
8,454 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal & GP Kantenah Resort & Spa

Something to consider is that the hotel is many highway miles from PDC and while getting there is easy enough it is a ten or fifteen mile trip and the associated hassle and cost of transport. I would still do it in a heartbeat, just go in aware of the distances. There are plenty of great places to have drinks and fun in Akumal but in more of a viilage setting but a fun village. Maybe you find that this type of trip is even better than your past ones.

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
479 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal & GP Kantenah Resort & Spa

The resort does a weekly trip to Play to the Coco bongos ( sorry I can't spell it )

you load up in a van and they drop you off there and pick you up at a certain time. We were asked while at the pool if we were interested ...we weren't but she did say if we just wanted to go and shop in Playa we could also do that as long as we were back at the van by the time set. It was not expensive either.

There is night life at the resort, the white party at the salt water pool and lots of shows and entertainers in the lobbies...it is all posted so you are able to go.

We enjoy just being at the resort so don't do much outside but we do love Akumal and there are good places to eat etc there if you feel you need a change.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,275 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal & GP Kantenah Resort & Spa

I am recently back from trip #13 and am returning again next week. Kantenah is wonderful. You can use as much or as little of the resort as you wish. There are four resorts plus a Royal area. Guests at all 4 resorts can use all amenities including unlimited ala cartes (except Royal).

Beach is much nicer than the Rius and is much quieter and more private.

Easy colectivo into PDC - 18 mins and 25 pesos. Easy taxi or colectivo to Akumal. Akumal is a quaint village with a beautiful beach, some restaurants and unique shops. Resort also brings in vendors almost every night and has some shops on site.

We went to smaller resorts when our daughter was small and since discovering the Palladium in 2003 we would not go anywhere else. Something for everyone IMHO.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal & GP Kantenah Resort & Spa

Thanks for the updates. It sounds lovely.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
930 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal & GP Kantenah Resort & Spa

I prefer resorts the size of the Palladium (Kantenah) and Barcelo and tend to get bored at the smaller ones. And as Ann says, the beach at the Kantenah is nicer than that at the Riu. If you want to wander around and try different bars, the Palladium has over 20 of them. And PDC is only about 20 minutes away by colectivo. I've stayed at the Riu Palace just across the street from the Riu Tequila and loved it but I like the Palladium a lot more.

Mentioned in this post
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
8,454 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal & GP Kantenah Resort & Spa

You have asked if the beaches are similar to the one at the Riu Tequila /Yucatan.

The beach at the GP is very much different from the Playacar beach. On the Playacar beach there is a row of the AI resorts and lots of people's traffic and boats with the para sailing and scooters that pollute the air. At the GP beach the air is very clean, less people as this bay is secluded with only GP and EDSS on it. Also the water is not that rough as on the Playacar beach because there is a reef out of there, you can snorkel off the resort's beach.

The following perks are hard to find even at the much higher priced resorts:

- free use of spa for all the room categories;

- 24/7 beach restaurant with the real mexican food made to order fresh any time of the day;

- free internet in the lobby, bring your wireless device. We used Ipod (they have Ipod docks in the rooms) and a laptop and both worked fine in the Riviera lobby;

- no limits for the alacarte dinners.

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
200 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
8,454 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal & GP Kantenah Resort & Spa

The apeal of the GPK is the size! It makes so much more to do!

We enjoyed 3 nights in PDC last Oct on our first trip to GPK, we had 4 of us and got taxis there and back. Just the 2 of us this Sept so may use the collectivos.

Enjoy!

8. Re: Akumal & GP Kantenah Resort & Spa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 06:15