We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you walk along the beach to Akumal Bay from GBP

Thurrock
Level Contributor
226 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Can you walk along the beach to Akumal Bay from GBP

Hi, Just looked on google earth. Is it possible to walk to Akumal Bay from GBP? What's the terrain like? How long (roughly) would it take(I am in good health)? Thanks.

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you walk along the beach to Akumal Bay from GBP

yes you can, but it is a long walk so take plenty of water, I guestimate 1.5 hour walk, have thought about doing it myself many times but never got round to it!

when are you going?. I am there in a couple of weeks and plan to do it then, will let you know exactly how long it takes when I get back : )

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you walk along the beach to Akumal Bay from GBP

Yes you can, it would take about 1.5 hours, it's rough & rocky and generally not thought to be worth the effort. Bring money to take a colectivo or taxi back. :o)

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you walk along the beach to Akumal Bay from GBP

There was an old post here about taking that walk unprepared with poor fottware and no fluids. There was pleasant chatter for the first quarter hour, name calling for the second quarter and silencio the rest of the way. For full on serious hikers with sturdy shoes and water maybe but there are better places to hike around including up the beach the other way.

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you walk along the beach to Akumal Bay from GBP

Thats okay then cos I am a 'full on serious hiker' : )

Wyoming
Level Contributor
926 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you walk along the beach to Akumal Bay from GBP

but there are better places to hike around including up the beach the other way.

So what's up the beach the other way? How far can you reasonably go and what resort will you see?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you walk along the beach to Akumal Bay from GBP

The beach the other way is one of the most beautiful pristine beaches you will ever find. No one there and only a 10-15 min walk.

Thurrock
Level Contributor
226 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you walk along the beach to Akumal Bay from GBP

for a moment thought I read 15 hrs:$.Still 1.5 hrs is quite a trek.Guess it makes sense to take a collectivo.Either that or take a Big Bubba keg for companyB-).Looks like a better idea is to walk the other way.Thanks for the info.;-)

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
165 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you walk along the beach to Akumal Bay from GBP

We were there last week and my husband attempted it. He said there was some kind of pier or something that blocked the way. It will be wiped out during the first good storm they have, he predicted.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you walk along the beach to Akumal Bay from GBP

At one point it is easier if you head inland to a small service-type of road for a bit, from what I understand. I have read quite a few threads on this over the years, so if you're serious about it you may want to do a "search" on the forum and read up about it.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,417 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you walk along the beach to Akumal Bay from GBP

Friends of mine did it last week