We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel by turtles

Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
hotel by turtles

I remember seeing hotels right by where you snorkel with the turtles... does anyone know what the names of the hotels are ? I like the idea of walking out from my room and swimming with the turtles all day. I have only visited Akumal, this will be my first time staying there :)

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel by turtles

Hotel Akumal Caribe...

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g499445-d252781-…

Akumal Beach Hotel this is an all Inclusive...

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g499445-d249916-…

Safe travels...jimmy

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel by turtles

Bump

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel by turtles

We looked at these also more of a 2 bedroom condo but very nice...This was over by the cannons...and they have a very nice private beach

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g499445-d617166-…

Safe travels....jimmy

Elmira, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel by turtles

GBP Coba, Akumal & Tulum on the reef everyday you would see turltes swiming.

Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel by turtles

Thanks for the replies... Can I snorkel right ourt front of the Coba, Tulum or Akumal hotels? I was looking at these 3 but not sure of the difference between them...

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel by turtles

Coba is not right on the beach, Akumal and Tulum are. We don't regularly see turtles there, we go into Akumal Bay (a quick taxi ride, less than 10 minutes). There really aren't a lot of differences between the three resorts, they're basically just three sections of one large resort.

If your main goal is to see turtles every day right out in front of your resort, you'll want to stay at the Akumal Bay Resort or the Hotel Akumal Caribe, rather than the Gran Bahia Principe. The turtles tend to hang out where the turtle grass grows, and there's a lot of that in Akumal Bay, not so much in front of the Bahia.

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel by turtles

We did a guided tour in front of the Akumal section of the Bahia. There is a group called Eco Bahia that will take you to the protected reef area for about 120 pesos each.

They are very knowledgable and swam with us for about 45 minutes. Ee did manage to see two sea turtles during our snorkle as well as lots of smaller fish.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,313 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel by turtles

Akumal Bay is much more protected (by an outside reef) than the beaches in front of Bahia - thus better snorkeling

Nice thing with staying at Akumal Bay (hotel/condo) is you can go for multiple snorkels when ever. Get out there by 8 am, you will likely see over 10 turtles

9. Re: hotel by turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 06:15