We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few last minute questions about the Grand Palladium, 3 days

washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Few last minute questions about the Grand Palladium, 3 days

Have a few questions, leaving in 3 days:)!!

Men's attire for ala carte, can men wear jeans or does it have to be trousers? My husband is not a dressy guy and wants to bring a nice polo shirt and jeans? Also he has a nice pair of leather sandals, is that ok for dinner or does it have to be closed toe?

I read somewhere that men cannot wear tank tops in the buffets? Even for lunch? this does not make sense?

Also we are going ziplining at explor, can we wear flip flops or do you have to have tennis shoes? trying to simplify my suitcase:)

Also do any of the pools have built in loungers in the water, besides the royal side?

Thats all for now:) Probably add more later, running out the door! thanks so much!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few last minute questions about the Grand Palladium, 3 days

1) Yes

2) No tank tops in any restaurants except beach bars

for men

3)Not sure. Check Xplor website but tennis shoes may be a safety thing

4)Yes, main pools at Colonial and White Sand, El Rinconicto, Secret pool

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few last minute questions about the Grand Palladium, 3 days

The Fiesta website says "For gentlemen, shirts with sleeves and long pants are required in all a la carte restaurants."

On the Palladium addict site it says:

What is the proper attire at the resort ?

•BEACH BARS: Swim suits and cover ups are fine.

•GRAN AZUL AND LA LAGUNA (the restaurants by the pools): Bathing suits are acceptable but must have a cover up and wear shoes/flip flops.

•ENCLOSED BUFFETS Shorts, skorts, capris, anything casual is fine. Men should not wear sleeveless shirts.

•A LA CARTES: The a la cartes require men to be in long pants (i.e. dockers) and shoes/sandals; shirt with a sleeve ( i.e. polo/tropical shirts). A collar is not required. Women may wear capris, sun dresses, shoes/sandals. Heels are not recommended, though, as they may get caught in the wooden planks on the bridges through the jungle area. Children under 12 may wear good shorts to the a la cartes.

So he should be fine with a tank top by the pool I guess, but not at a buffet, if I am reading that right.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few last minute questions about the Grand Palladium, 3 days

Stayed last year, returning this year....long trousers for resturants (jeans fine) however maybe bit warm. And smart sandals for men are fine. Hubby wore his with no problems.

Enjoy....

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few last minute questions about the Grand Palladium, 3 days

I will clarify as I have been there 14x (as recently as Feb/March) and administer the unofficial site. There are signs at the entrances to most buffets indicating tank tops are not allowed for men. Tank tops may be worn at El Gran Azul lunch buffet, La Laguna lunch buffet and the beach bars, not at other buffets. Ladies should wear cover ups at all buffets for breakfast and lunch and appropriate attire for dinner. I have seen some abuse this policy and asked to leave. I have also seen a family try and enter a buffet wrapped in towels over wet bathing suits. Not acceptable. If you wish to stay in a wet bathing suit you can eat at the beach bars for lunch.

washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Few last minute questions about the Grand Palladium, 3 days

Thank you all so much for the quick reply:)!

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few last minute questions about the Grand Palladium, 3 days

I'm assuming Tank Tops to mean Vests in British English?

Tank Top is a sleeveless cardigan here, made with wool, whereas a Vest will be made of cotton or nylon type fabric.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few last minute questions about the Grand Palladium, 3 days

I thought the term was universal - I certainly call a cotton sleeveless vest a tank top (I'm a Brit!) but yes, vest would be another word, although 'sleeveless t-shirt' might be a better term, vest makes me thing of a grubby white thing worn by an older fatter guy - like the brother in law in Keeping Up Appearences!

Russell...
Level Contributor
46 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few last minute questions about the Grand Palladium, 3 days

My advice: Don't wear jeans - they're way too hot! Go buy two pair of light cotton or some other light material pants and save them for all of your Mexican and Carribean vacations. If they get dirty you can have them laundered but it's better than sweating - no matter how comfortable you think jeans will be ---- They Aren't!! TOO HOT!

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few last minute questions about the Grand Palladium, 3 days

'sleeveless t-shirt' makes things complicated lol :-) because there are also 'cap sleeve' t shirts which sort of end at the shoulders? Aussie rules football players wear them in that style.

I'd never heard a vest called a tank top before lol hence the ask :-)

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Few last minute questions about the Grand Palladium, 3 days

Last time we went riu's. They would not accept cap sleeves either, so would omagine it would be thE same at gp. That was in the buffets too.