We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online travel insurance policies.

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Online travel insurance policies.

Are there any online travel insurance companies that people have had experience of using for their travel insurance. I have used insureandgo.com before, just wondering if there are anymore that people could recommend for a single travel trip policy?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Online travel insurance policies.

I haven't used them before as I have a policy from my bank, but this year I have book a flight and hotel separately so I am a but concerned about hurricanes as I am travelling in September. I have bought a policy from Direct Travel who have a natural disaster clause.

Hopefully I don't need to use it, but I wanted something in place just in case.

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Online travel insurance policies.

Whatever you buy , read the fine , fine , fine print. MOST travel insurance or trip cancelation policys are totaly usless. They find a way to wiggle out of paying. Last year , a planeload of people got stranded in ? (costa rica) , due to a storm at their destination. Not only did the insurance company's not pay because they never made it to the destination , they had to pay their own flights home.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
486 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Online travel insurance policies.

Kelly,

I have used www.travelex.com and have excellent results and be sure to read the fine print. They also offer coverage just about to anywhere in the world and been around for quite awhile.

Just to say I am not representing or advertising for them only givng an idea to anyone that may be interested.

Some people do not realize that a lot of tour companies and the big ones, here in the US, only offer basically small coverage policies that do not offer much at all for protection.

Another biggy is a lot of insurance companies from some employers will not cover you when you are out side of your country.

Hurricane season is here now, so I will take it alwasy's as one never knows if one pops up and you get cancelled or need to reschedule.

In addition here is the big one they will reimburse you, da who carries a large credit card that covers thousands of dollars in today's economy, that's why I did my research and came up with that company.

Travelex offers a policy that no cash is out of pocket, so who ever or what ever company one chooses, read the fine print.

So what ever you do in my opinion you spend that kind of money on a vacation, cover your seleves for the unexpected and just maybe you will be glad you did if you ever need it. We had it and we used it thank goodness.

Questions let me know

Snowman :O)

Edited: 26 June 2011, 16:38
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Online travel insurance policies.

Looking at the Travelex UK website they use Insure and Go, I checked them out when looking for my cover and Direct Travel had much better cover. However you only know how good an insurance company is when you have to claim, thankfully I never had. Long my this trend continue.

US residents seem to have more options on travel insurance as I have read where you can buy "cancel for any reason", which we don't have in the UK. It took me a lot of searching to find a policy which covers natural disasters including hurricanes.

Edited: 26 June 2011, 17:06
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Online travel insurance policies.

Realdiver, did the direct travel policy have a name? I know sometimes they do braze, silver, gold type policies? With increasing cover.

Thanks for the info Snowman, I will check it out. Not sure if realdiver meant that travelex is the same as insureandgo.com which I have used on my last few trips. However I have never had to claim (thankfully)!!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Online travel insurance policies.

Try moneysupermarket.com you can compare companies and deals on there, i have a policy with flexi cover (which was purchased via moneysupermarket) but it really does depend on what your insuarance needs are.

If you arent sure about buying online the post office does quite a good policy

birmingham
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Online travel insurance policies.

Realdiver who did u find covered for hurricanes or 'natural disasters' that's what I was looking for ideally but couldn't find any1 that would cover for that.

Thanks

8. Re: Online travel insurance policies.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 08:17