We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone rent a car in Akumal?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
83 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone rent a car in Akumal?

We are at ABR next week and were wondering if renting a car would be a great way to explore the coast without being tied to public transportation/tours. We would to go to Playa Del Carmen and just have freedom to explore. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone rent a car in Akumal?

Depends on where you want to go. Very easy to get the colectivo (sp?) from Acumal to Playa. Short walk to highway and bus drops you off very close to the action. Same holds true for a few of the other attraction i.e Xel Ha, Hidden Worlds, Tulum ruins. If you are going further i.e. Coba then a car does make sence. You can also take the Colectivo the other way to Tulum and a short cab ride to the beach (or long walk).

PA
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone rent a car in Akumal?

We rented a car for the first time on our last trip. (well we rented one in Cozumel for a few hours before) It was totally worth it. We rented it from EasyCar rentals. They picked us up at the airport and within 15 minutes we were on our way. We used it to go to the Jungle Place, to PDC for a night, Ek Balam ruins, and to the Tulum ruins. The nicest part was not being tied down with any scheduled tours. We went when we wanted to. We did get pulled over for speeding, we paid $25 "on the spot, no receipt" and went on our way. We did a lot of research first. We printed out pictures and translations of street signs which was very helpful on our trip to Ek Balam. Order maps from MapChick. It made the drive into PDC and finding parking a breeze.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone rent a car in Akumal?

I always rent a car. Expedia or travelocity gives best prices ahead of time. Don't get one while you are down there way more money. Figure another $11 per day for mandatory third party insurance. Pick up at airport and save the transfer fee and it close to paying for itself. Freedom is great we drove 500 miles and saw 6 ruins in one trip. It's safe and a great time cruising the peninsula. Happy travels!

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone rent a car in Akumal?

We have always rented when staying in this area . If you don't have an included hotel transfer then the car rental cost can be reduced by the cost of airport transfers . Since you are staying at an all inclusive you may only get good value out of a car for a day or two , mid trip or closer to the end as the first few days are nice for just kickin back. There is tons to do and see and explore on your own and the car doubles as an air conditioned hard shell for youngster naps and packing baby supplies and saves you carrying all that stuff by hand . Get all the insurance offered from a respected local company like Easyway , who will deliver and pick up at ABR , I believe and are very price competetive as well . Don't forget the car seat advice . Enjoy

michigan
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone rent a car in Akumal?

We will be staying at the ABR in late October and are considering renting a car at the airport and driving to the resort and back, keeping the car for the week. At $216 total for the week it seems the way to go. Is the route pretty straightforward from the airport to the main drag to Akumal? I have driven all over Cozumel and have transferred from CUN to PDC as a passenger- just don't remember how difficult it was to navigate from the airport grounds to the highway. I don't speak much Spanish-any advice?

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone rent a car in Akumal?

The drive is on simple , modern , divided four lane highway without a turn all the way to Akumal and even Tulum. The speed limits go up and down for hotels and towns rapidly and often but simple unagressive driving will get you there easy. There are a couple of speedbumps (topes) still left on the highway that can shake you up a bit and a slowdown for a checkpoint (filtro) going in and out of PDC for sure , still no problem . The airport exit and return are easy enough with the return being a little tougher as at most airports while trying to read signs and drive at the same time. The airport police enforce the lower speed limits as most airport police do everywhere . We have rented from Cancuncarrental aka Americacarrental with no problems and many others like Easyway . These two providers both offer full insurance coverage on their smallest cars for 30 to 35 dollars a day in normal periods and are both located a short shuttle ride off the airport grounds right on the 307 ready to head south. Many rentals cars will be low on gas at pickup time and the first thing you come to leaving either rental agency is a gas station and convenience store . It can be very confusing to comparison shop for rental cars including insurance as some places include some things and some places don't and third party agents like Expedia , who offer a great service which I love and use for air prices can further muddy the waters in the car rental biz. Read reviews for Easyway and get the zero deductable bundled full coverage . No spanish , no problem . http://consejo.bz/mexico/mex-signs.html

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone rent a car in Akumal?

I've rented a car both at the airport and in 2009 at the ABR to drive down to Sian Kaan one day. At the ABR the vendor at the time was Thrifty, got a new car for $60/day including all insurance and zero deductible. The ABR does have a different company renting cars there now, not sure who it is. Renting at the airport will be a bit cheaper (Easyway is good) but if you only need it for a day or two, then no problem to rent there.

michigan
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone rent a car in Akumal?

Thanks for the info-sounds like we will be renting. Will check into Easyway and definitely will go with full coverage bundle.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
83 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone rent a car in Akumal?

Thank you all so much for the advice! We have a transport service for only $150 round trip to/from the airport so I think we will rent just for the days we need it and have some "freedom". Being at an AI, you hate to leave those free mojitos but we will have to explore some! :)

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone rent a car in Akumal?

Look into USA Transfer, they charged $130 roundtrip per car (not pp) from the airport to Akumal, so you could spend that extra $20 on drinks :) That quote is for 1-3 people, more if there are 4 or more.