We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"groupon' questions....

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
"groupon' questions....

Looking to book our annual December getaway and checking out Expedia again since we have had such good luck w/ them and see there is offers w/ "groupon" I guess I am looking for someone to explain in layman's terms..."how does it work?" is there a fee etc?? ...

Always looking to $ave $ome money then I have more for a day trip to Akumal bay lol.

thanks in advance...

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "groupon' questions....

I'm a deal-chaser too :)

Normally, especially in Mexico, I try and book my reservations directly with the hotel. Often times Expedia and Groupon and those sites receive a 'kick-back' from the hotel for a booking, so when it comes down to check-in, the person who booked directly with the hotel will be priority.

Although I've had good luck with Expedia, I've also heard about reservations being lost, but I think alot of that depends on the hotel.

Often times, I will secure a great deal in advance (with a 3-5 day cancellation policy & no charge to my credit card) then check in periodically to see if the rates go down. The rates often gets reduced as the trip gets closer. If I find a better deal (often at the same resort) I will rebook and capture that reduced rate then cancel my previous reservation.

When it comes to vacation, you always want the best deal possible but you also want to guarantee no-hassles.

Best of luck!

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "groupon' questions....

DJ in LA...thanks for the info....gotta love to save...lol.

I do pretty good snaggin good deals airfare/hotel aka: package deals...but I have a question...when you say you book directly w/ the hotel do you have your airfare dates all secured then look for the hotel deals/dates? I've always wanted to book seperate but I always come up w/ higher prices w/ airfare and hotel seperate. I don't have acess to FF miles so that's out of the question....

I used to use Funjet and apple all the time but they seem to come in crazy high now compared to say Orbitz and Expedia. thanks in advance for your help I appreciate it.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "groupon' questions....

I used to book package deals, but the flights would have 2 or more stops/layovers, turning what COULD be a 5 hour nonstop flight to an 8-10 hour travel time.

It's a bit more hassle to do the arrangements yourself, but this gives me the flexibility to find the best flights (OFTEN NON-STOP) and deal hunt the hotel from the time I make the first reservation to the time we leave. If ur like me, half the fun is the hunt for the best deal!

BTW my husband and I stayed at Be Live Riviera Maya in an ocean suite for $60 a night all inclusive last Aprill...now THAT was a deal!!! My Mom and I are paying $140 for Superior Ocean Double in November...which is STILL a great deal, but thinking it will get even better as the date gets closer.

Yes, I usually do secure the airfare prior to making the hotel rez, but with a flexible cancellation policy at the hotel, it doesn't really matter.

I LOVE a great deal, but when it comes down to saving $50-$100 on a roundtrip flight (the difference between 5 hours or 8+ hours of travel time ea way), I will gladly pay the $50-$100.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "groupon' questions....

Do you follow the hotel prices on the hotels main website or on locogringo or expedia etc..?? I'm intrigued

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "groupon' questions....

I follow the prices of the hotel directly on the website (check in once or twice a week to look at the prices before we go). I have also been known to find coupon codes on the web offering 10% or $100 off the entire stay. I still use Expedia when I am looking for a LIST of hotels in an area that I am not familiar with and I use TA for reviews.

We've enjoyed the high-end Palace resorts throughout the Yucatan and they are lovely but I find that Be Live is a MUCH better value and for the $ we save, we can often squeeze in ONE more vacation each year.

I don't trust hotels that have strict or expensive cancellation policies. The reason that they do that is because if they lower the price they want you to still pay the higher price to stay in their hotel. No bueno.

One last tip: two weeks prior to our arrival, I send the reservation manager an email to make our requests for a specific room/location, late check out and notify him/her of any special occasions that we might be celebrating. Depending on the professionalism of the individual, you will be greeted by that person upon arrival.

I don't mind putting in the extra leg-work PRIOR to vacation, so that once I am there, I can re-lax!

FYI - I booked BE LIVE RIVIERA MAYA 06/03/2011, since then, I have rebooked twice, the price is now $250 less than when we booked the first time.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "groupon' questions....

Thanks for the info...I don' t mind doing the legwork..I love learning about vacations...but every which way I twist it ...I keep coming up w/ around $900.00 per person for BE LIVE 10 nights in December out of Chicago...(that includes tax etc...) I'll keep watching...I have time yet! !Thanks a TON for your help!! cheers!! Enjoy your vacation w/ your mom in November. I Appreciate your help.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "groupon' questions....

meant to mention that was via Expedia..and a direct flight.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "groupon' questions....

Direct flight is perfect!! 10 days all inclusive for $900 sounds pretty good too, but as a deal-hunter we always want better :)

Did you also price out how much it would cost to pay for the flight + hotel directly with the airline/hotel?. Be Live is only $123 a night per couple thru 12/22/2011 on their website: belivehotels.com (don't be fooled by immitation sites run by travel agents). There is alway the strong possibiliy that this price could go DOWN as your travel date nears too (if you book thru Expedia you will not be entitled to the lower rates). If the price is going to be the same to book on your own as it is thru Expedia, I strongly urge you to book directly with the airline and directly with the hotel. Another helpful note: if you book directly with them, you don't have to pay for your hotel until you ARRIVE, with Expedia, it is ALL up front.

However you make your arrangements, I have a funny feeling that you are going to have a BLAST in December!!!

9. Re: "groupon' questions....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 13:16