We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal Beach

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hamilton
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Akumal Beach

I want to find out how far it is from the coba and also how much would it cost by taxi.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal Beach

I have just got a reply to an email I sent to Akumal dive shop.

They said it is 1.8 miles south of Akumal.

On the GP website wich is the same 1.8 miles North I think the cab fare is $20.00.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,207 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal Beach

Taxis at Grand Palladium overcharges

Bahia (assume this is where Coba is - not the Ruins) it is 120 pesos

I go out to the Hwy where taxis are usually cheaper although Colectivo is 20 pesos. Sometimes Taxis will barter - last trip - I got a taxi ride for 20 pesos

Distance - about 5 km - 10 minutes

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal Beach

I agree w/ VSD we kept walking past the taxi stand at the Bahia and said, no thanks no thanks we'll use a collectivo...and there were taxi's lined up by the road and again they tried to get us to use a taxki and were said "no thanks...collectivo"...(confirm the price before getting in ) and they were went down drastically w/ their price and had us share w/ 2 fellows also from Bahia that were also going to Akumal Bay...so that worked out w/ us as they brought us into the arches as opposed to walking in from the highway if we had used a collectivo. (not that we mind that short walk in...)

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal Beach

If you request a cab at the lobby , it will come right in and pick you up there , but you pay full price. Out at the road , they are cheaper , and will come down in price to compete with the colectivo. Taxi will take you right to the beach entrance , collectivo stops out by the highway. On your return trip , taxi will come right into the resort to drop you off.

First time we were at GBP we took colectivos everywhere . Last time we were there we had a 2 year old with us so we took taxi's , even into Playa del Carmen. Either way , transportation is cheap. I have heard of people paying way too much for their taxi , and assume they just fell victim to an opportunistic driver. Always get a price before you agree to go.

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal Beach

Here is another option. If you aren't carrying too much stuff , you can walk back to the GBP along the beach.

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal Beach

Sue...yes, walking back is an option or even walking there but allow a good hour and 15 minutes at least...it's a tug. Have fun!

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal Beach

Walked the Beach back to the GBP 3 weeks ago. Just a beach walk most of the way. There were some some rough sections towards the end. Had to climb down, over and around some big bolders and coral. All in all it was an adventure!

Skegness, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal Beach

walked back a few times now ourselves exactly what others have said, just over hour walk, some rocks to climb over in a small section, just need to be careful on that bit, take plenty to drink and enjoy the walk

9. Re: Akumal Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 20:19