We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone convert CDN to MXN before they get to Mexico

Fredericton, NB
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does anyone convert CDN to MXN before they get to Mexico

I have read some posts where folks mention exchanging money at home for the best rates. Most of those people are departing from the US. Are Mexican Peso's available in Canadian banks?

Taverna Akumal
££ - £££, Italian, Bar, Pizza
Turtle Bay Bakery & Cafe
££ - £££, Mexican, American, Cafe
Loncheria Akumalito
£, Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,996 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone convert CDN to MXN before they get to Mexico

I find I get a better rate in Mexico (FWIW, when travelling to Europe, I've found I get a better rate when I get there than home here in Canada).

That said, I do change up enough money to last me the first few days, that way I don't have to rush around searching for an ATM as soon as I arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Fredericton, NB
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone convert CDN to MXN before they get to Mexico

Thanks

Do you have to let your bank know in advance you will want some Pesos or do they keep some on hand?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,996 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone convert CDN to MXN before they get to Mexico

I use a "virtual" bank, (PC Financial) so I do have to order them in advance (and pay a courier fee). More often than not, I just use a forex place in a mall close to where I live - their rates aren't great but with the amount of money I'm exchanging, a few points difference really doesn't amount to much. Plus, it's very convenient and by the time you factor in the courier fee, the difference between the bank and the forex place is negligible.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 23:08
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone convert CDN to MXN before they get to Mexico

We buy ours from a local "Currency Exchange" booth at our mall, better rates than when we get down to Mexico. Apparently our train station has even better rates. No problems these days getting smaller notes either with the decease in US funds used in Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
London, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone convert CDN to MXN before they get to Mexico

I exchanged my CAD into MXN @ the Continental Currency Exchange in the mall, the rate was better then in Mexico. They also had 20 and 50 peso notes available.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone convert CDN to MXN before they get to Mexico

I just exchanged Cnd $ for Mexican peso at TD Canada Trust...no extra charge and was given a rate of $1 cnd = 12 peso's so not a bad rate...I wanted to make sure when we land in Cancun to Isla Mujeres at Christmas I will not have to run around for a few days..

Safe travels...jimmy

Edited: 27 October 2011, 00:08
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone convert CDN to MXN before they get to Mexico

I ordered mine in advance, I don't think too many of the charter banks keep Mexican Pesos on hand. I know my bank orders foreign currency daily, so it only took a couple of days (depends on what time of day they place the order) I gave the bank a list of the number of each denomination that I wanted and picked it up a few days later. It was that easy!

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anyone convert CDN to MXN before they get to Mexico

Just to make my post a little clearer..I too had to pre-order the Mexican peso's, it took 5 days for me to recieve them from TD Canada Trust...

Safe travels...jimmy

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does anyone convert CDN to MXN before they get to Mexico

We always get US money to take for tips or the collectivo and use a credit card when booking excursions etc. we've never had a problem.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does anyone convert CDN to MXN before they get to Mexico

tripadvisor.ca/…36645920 More here