We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palladium RM v Punta Cana

Toronto
Level Contributor
404 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Palladium RM v Punta Cana

We've been to RM several times never to a Palladium property we stayed at the Gran Bahia last year and enjoyed it, the beach could have been a little better ie sand bags and lots of coral around. With that said we enjoyed going to Akumal Beach and swimming with the sea turtles. We're looking at possibly a change of scenery and trying Punta Cana for the first time how do the Palladium's compare?? Or should we just stick to the good old Mayan, I don't like the long bus ride for just a week's holiday though.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal Beach
Akumal Beach
11,942 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palladium RM v Punta Cana

I've been to the DR twice and we've been returning to Mexico for over 10 years. That said, the DR has wonderful beaches. No snorkeling off the beach. Nor much to see and do off the resort. The whales (mammals) are in Samana and that's quite a trip across the island.

Depends what you want. We stayed at the RIU Palace and the GBP Ambar and enjoyed both very much but we wouldn't go back just because of the lack of things to do off the beach and the off the resort and we both like to get out and about.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,325 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palladium RM v Punta Cana

I'll send you a link. luv the sun is correct in that PC has a gorgeous beach but not much else to do. It s closer to the airport than RM. Both have the same Palladium amenities and PC has some newly renovated rooms.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palladium RM v Punta Cana

Palladium was just ok when we stayed there 2 years ago. Pay extra for the White Sands otherwise its a 1/4 mile walk each way to eat, swim or go to the lobby. Food was average at best not much variety. I really enjoyed the beach and the pool, by far the nicest swimup bar i've ever seen. Nightlife at the club in the resort was also ok. There are a lot of underage kids binge drinking but that's common everywhere. If you do choose to go into town its expensive and far away unless you go to Xel-Ha, Xplor, Tulum or Xcaret. Those attractions are actually within 30-60 minutes away. Great location for day trips, Great beach and pool, OK nightlife and food, 1/4 walk each way sucks though

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Toronto
Level Contributor
404 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palladium RM v Punta Cana

thanks for the link annoncapecod. Also, cincyPS it's a 1/4mile from th beach if staying at the Colonial? While we don't mind the walking around for breakfast, lunch and dinners or the trams I don't want a super long walk to the beach. We've been to Tulum etc etc not really caring about a pool more so the beach and we like to snorkel and this is not avail in Punta Cana but sounds like the beaches are nicer....are they that much nicer? I like the fact PC is closer to the airport too....ahhhh decisions, decsions. The price is quite a bit higher then what we paid last year so I want to make sure I pick the right place.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,325 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palladium RM v Punta Cana

Hola Chica, You've been o the P RM so you know that there are some rooms virtually on the beach, ie Kantenah Mayan suites and the Colonial Mayan suites are very close. I am returning in less than 3 week for my trip #16 to RM P. Have also been to Jamaica P. Would love to try Punta Cana as have heard wonderful things about the beach and refurbished rooms. I usually stay in a K Mayan suite as adult. This time my daughter is joining me so we'll be in a suite, about 2 mins to the beach.

I did find airfare to PC higher than to RM. Not sure why?

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Toronto
Level Contributor
404 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palladium RM v Punta Cana

no I haven't been to any palladiums just been to the mayan several times last year we stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum and walked over to the Akumal beach side. Yes Punta Cana is slightly higher.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,325 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palladium RM v Punta Cana

Sorry mis-read this. If you enjoyed Bahia you will love Palladium RM. Unlimited ala cartes, wonderful beach and more. The link I gave you also has some comparisons between Bahia and P RM.

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palladium RM v Punta Cana

Having been to the Palladium in RM and PC quite a few times, I will explain my reasons for preferring Punta Cana.

As many have already said, the beach in PC is stunning with pure white soft sand. No shells, rocks, coral, nothing but sand and beautiful blue water. Never a need for water shoes. Also, the Royal in RM doesn't have a beach on site. You must take a cart or the train to the opposite end of the complex to utilize the beach off the Kantenah resort.

There are two resorts in PC, the Palace and the Punta Cana section that have all your basic facilities just a few steps from your room; whereas in RM, regardless of where you stay or what villa you are in, there is much walking to get to the beach, restaurants and pools.

The Palladium in PC has more of a real tropical atmosphere, with plush greenery and many tall swaying palm trees. Their walkways are meticously landscaped, compared to RM that is set in a Mangrove and you must walk on wooden bridges.

Many people feel RM has a better selection of food. My opinion is they are two completely different countries with their own culinary styles. I would say drinks, service, nightly shows and cleanliness of the two destinations are the same.

As for off the resort activities, although RM wins in this area, I can honestly say that PC is offering more and more tours and things to do. The Saona Island tour is fantastic for one example and they have outback safari's, ziplining, marinas to swim with dolphins etc. They do not have the tours of the Mayan Ruins, but Santo Domingo is filled with rich history and is very interesting.

There is no doubt in my mind, that you will have a great vacation at either of the two resort locations.

For further information and many comparisons of the two destinations, I

suggest you browse the palladiumaddict.net site. It will help you decide. Feel free to PM me if you need additional info.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
611 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palladium RM v Punta Cana

I have been to both properties and love them both and will return to both of them. I always thought I would only go to Mexico so glad I finally decided to try PC.

I would say go and check out the Palladium in Punta Cana. It does have a beautiful beach. The food might be a tad better in Mexico but believe me I still had very good food in PC. The drinks were great at both.

As the above poster said check out palladium addicts web site for more comparisons on the 2 resorts.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Toronto
Level Contributor
404 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palladium RM v Punta Cana

razel THANK YOU SO MUCH for your very informative comparison of the two, exactly what I was looking for. However, with all that being said we're not going to either the Palladiums but back to the Gran Bahia in Akumal where we were last year and really enjoyed it, and know what we're getting ourselves into. We've seen the ruins and not needing to seem them again but will like to swim with the turtles again for sure. The clincher for us was that it was a total of $1200 less because of the awesome kids rate. That made the decision easy. So Punta Cana will have to wait for now but I think based on your comparisons we would like it and enjoy visiting another country some time in the future.....if the price is right ;)

Thank you All for all your help