We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palladium Dress Code - "Official" vs Actual

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Palladium Dress Code - "Official" vs Actual

I have read the official dress code for men is long pants at the a la cartes – similar to many of the resorts we’ve travelled to. In most resorts though, including Iberostar, Barcelo, etc. if my husband wears a nice pair of Docker/khaki type shorts and a collared shirt, he is not turned away. I am wondering if Palladium strictly enforces that men must wear pants at all of the a la cartes? I’ve also seen at some of the resorts that if the a la carte is more “casual” atmosphere (maybe like Ribs N More at the Palladium), they are not as strict with the dress code.

Just wanting to make sure the men in our group pack enough pants if they’re absolutely required. I have read somewhere that the Palladium will rent out pants with a $20 deposit for those that don’t have them – not sure if that’s true or even how well the pants would fit if they do indeed do this – lol. Wouldn't want to have to count on this as an option.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palladium Dress Code - "Official" vs Actual

If their stated dress code is long pants for the a la carte dining experiences, why would anyone not comply?

Just because some resort chose to look the other way rather than confront a guest about their inappropriate attire is no reason IMO for looking for loopholes.

Pack one pair of long pants for each fellow, and let them change as soon as they finish chewing their dessert.

Better than the attitude that the rules don't apply to you, it's not like it's a big deal, they're just trying to maintain a certain ambiance at certain dining locations.

If wearing long pants is too much trouble for someone, they can always eat buffet or order room service.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palladium Dress Code - "Official" vs Actual

Been to Palladium twice and I my experience would say the long trouser rule is followed in all al a carte resturants.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palladium Dress Code - "Official" vs Actual

GETawayPeople – thank you for the response.

LaTA3 - My husband always dresses very nicely – showered, shaved, sometimes long pants/sometimes smart - longer style shorts when it’s hot, always with a nice collared shirt. He certainly never wears beach shorts and a t-shirt or any other attire I'd consider inappropriate. I’ve yet to notice any other diners who are offended by how he dresses and if they are, they aren’t focusing on the right things during their vacation.

I’ve always found the rule that men must wear long pants in a hot destination a little silly – it’s a shame to be hot and uncomfortable if it’s really hot when you’re trying to enjoy a nice dinner on your vacation. I think men can look just as good in dressier shorts as they can in pants. It is a bit of a double standard as women can wear short, short skirts, sleeveless or tight dresses, etc. I’m really not sure what’s so offensive about a man’s lower legs?

However, if Palladium enforces it, we have no problem following their policy and that’s why I’m asking. I’m not trying to look for a loop hole or get around "rules"- just wanted to understand what is generally accepted and want to know if I need to pack 1 or 2 pairs of pants.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,564 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palladium Dress Code - "Official" vs Actual

My14 year old son was turned away from an a la carte at the Palladium even though he had on dress shorts and a collared shirt. He went back to the room for his long jeans and was then admitted. Meanwhile my teen daughter was wearing a very short skirt!

We have also seen the staff at the a la cartes question parents about the age of their children - any males 13 and up are supposed to wear long pants.

Personally, I don't see the big deal about nice dress shorts, but just want to point out that the rule has in the past been enforced.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palladium Dress Code - "Official" vs Actual

Thanks Janidd - exactly what I needed to know.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palladium Dress Code - "Official" vs Actual

Yes Deb the rule is always enforced,however if you book the seafood restaurant on the beach they will tell you that three quarter lengths are ok for that (i presume because the tables are outside on the beach).

I know what you mean about some resorts not enforcing the rule but they do at the Grand Palladium, in my opinion linen three quarter lengths / longer shorts are much smarter than someone wearing cargo or jeans to dinner....it drives my boyfriend mad as he hates wearing long pants when its so hot and humid.

have a great holiday the resort is fab

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,248 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palladium Dress Code - "Official" vs Actual

The lng trouser rule is enforced. May be a little lax in July Aug but always enforced ohterwise. The atmosphere is somewha casual/ elegant so I like this rule.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palladium Dress Code - "Official" vs Actual

Jannid - you say your son changed into jeans - do you mean denim jeans? We are travelling there with our 3 teenage sons and they are saying they dont want to wear khakis. Will they be let in wearing jeans?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palladium Dress Code - "Official" vs Actual

Jeans are long pants, but IMO way too hot a garment for the tropics. Of course the restaurants requiring long pants have a/c, as was noted above, dressy shorts are OK for the open air place.

Windsor, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Palladium Dress Code - "Official" vs Actual

How do they feel about the men wearing sandals?

I have read that the men must wear shoes but other places I have read that sandals are okay?