We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crt or Vim

Assumption, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Crt or Vim

I have been doing a lot of research on CRT and VIM and both sound wonderful but I was just wondering from a personal stand point what others think of either of these resorts? Positives vs negatives of both? and wich one has a better beach and more beauty? party spots?

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crt or Vim

Can't comment on the CRT but just returned from VIM, and it was a let down. Food was awful, and this time of year the beach was very eroded due to high tide, and it was hard to walk. They may build it back up, but if you are going soon, it will probably be the same.

The in room TV is small, and very far from the bed...the remote has a hard time even working due to the distance.

The staff was wonderful, the grounds are huge and amazing, but I walked around most of the 8 days hungry.

Assumption, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crt or Vim

we are striving for a nice beach and parties

WV
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crt or Vim

Have been to both and have to say my experience was way different from the first responder. Loved VIM! The beach is long and has areas of sandy entry to swim and ironshore for tide poll gazing. Plenty of room to spread out. The food was good when we were there and with 7 restaurants no one should ever walk around hungry. The CRT is smaller and further from the airport . Fewer food options but good food. Both have some jungle and CRT had no oceanview rooms. Overall I would choose VIM if the price point was similar. By category, sea to CRT by a nose, food/room/sevice/location to VIM.

WV
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crt or Vim

Have been to both and have to say my experience was way different from the first responder. Loved VIM! The beach is long and has areas of sandy entry to swim and ironshore for tide poll gazing. Plenty of room to spread out. The food was good when we were there and with 7 restaurants no one should ever walk around hungry. The CRT is smaller and further from the airport . Fewer food options but good food. Both have some jungle and CRT had no oceanview rooms. Overall I would choose VIM if the price point was similar. By category, sea to CRT by a nose, food/room/sevice/location to VIM.

calgary, alberta
Level Contributor
254 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crt or Vim

Have also been to both. We would return to the CRT but not the VIM. The Valentin Imperial had more of a night life, but that said, everything else we liked better at the Catalonia Royal Tulum. I have written/submitted a review for each of these resorts if you wish to read my comparisions.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crt or Vim

I have not been to either resort but we chose VIM this year on the advice of our Travel Agent. She said it was the better bang for the buck but I still like the looks of CRT.

We've been to all of the Secrets Properties and of course, SMB is their flag ship. We didn't like SSS as much as Capri. Have been to the Palladium but it always seems the Royal Suites are booked when we want to go. We stayed int he Kantenah section and loved it. It is a great resort for the money also. Beautiful pools, rooms are average to very nice for Mexico and you get a wide range of beach experiences.

I think you will have a great time no matter where you go. It depends on what is important to you.

I also had a friend who booked the Iberostar Lindo in high season and because they needed the room and my friends were all adults they were upgraded to the Grand for no extra cost.

You didn't specify what it is that you are looking for in a resort. It would help us in giving you suggestions.

Assumption, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crt or Vim

We are looking for a place with a nice beach(after our trip to Jamaica and having barely a beach at all) We are par-tiers so that would be nice to have somewhere to go to dance and have some drinks! I like the idea of NO KIDS as we are vacationing away from our 3 children we really don't want to go somewhere and here kids screaming all day! good snorkeling nearby..

WV
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crt or Vim

Snorkeling is better at CRT- walk to the right to the cove just before the nude beach resort (or so we were told) and the snorkling is good.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,157 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crt or Vim

For snorkelling, there's not much of that at the VIM but you can go into Puerto Morelos and get a local to take you out to the reef. The cost is about US$25 each, including equipment rental. If you were to stay at the CRT, I think Akumal Beach is pretty close and there's good snorkelling there or at nearby Yal Ku Lagoon.

The nightlife at the VIM consists of a band followed by a DJ - some nights it can be hopping, other nights it's pretty quiet. It's not an issue for me because I'm really not into the nightlife much but for someone who is, I honestly think the VIM would be pretty boring. Don't get me wrong, I'm a confirmed VIM fan having been there three time but the reality is it is NOT party central and if that's what you're looking for, I honestly don't think the VIM is the place for you.

Come to that, I'm not sure about the CRT either. I've never been there but it too has a reputation for being a "laid back" (read: "not a party") resort.

Given that you've specficially said that you're partiers and want somewhere to dance and drink, then IMHO, neither the CRT nor the VIM is a great choice as both resorts are pretty isolated and neither one is reknown for their nightlife. I think you'd be happier at a resort closer to the "action" of either Cancun or Playa del Carmen. In PdC, the Royal Playa del Carmen would be a great choice - the resort receives great reviews and is right IN Playa del Carmen, so you've got lots of bars, clubs and restaurants right on your doorstep. And the beach is great there too. You could still take a taxi or collectivo (or possibly even the bus) to Puerto Morelos and/or Akumal to get your snorkelling fix in too.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crt or Vim

Been comparing both of these resorts along with excellence RM for the past month now using pictures,reviews and posts. A couple of general observations both have a pretty good selection of liquor's.in there lobby bars. and both have somewhat cutback on things they offered at the beginning of this year...

The differences I seen so far

There are more air conditioned pubic area's at VIM. I've read that CRT's open air lobby can get warm during the evening (I forget when this poster was at the resort summertime can get really hot)

VIM is more of a party place during the evening. even thou both cater mostly to couples.

VIM has a bigger and nicer pools vs the 1 at the CRT. VIMs swim out room options seem to appeal to many people.

VIM has more choices for dinner 7 resturants is alot. even if 1 or 2 are closed on a particular night it still gives you 5 other options.

CRT has a nicer beach. We've been to a resorts down the road called the Barcelo Maya resorts (with kids) a number of times and the beaches in that area are world class.

CRT allows snacking by the pool VIM does not.. Lets say your either to lazy too hungover, or too drunk to get lunch according to posts its "no problem" to have a basket of chips or pizza by the pool..At the VIM you have to go to the lunch buffet to eat. (I do believe theres an al la carte lunch also)

The transfer toVIM is about 45min from the airport. To CRT from the airport is about 1-1 1/2 hours Alot depends on how much traffic is around PDC for CRT's transfer time.

At CRT you might have to deal with crazy Italians at VIM you'll have to deal with the crazy Americans and Canadians. Check out the post on Italians at the crt that has about 5 pages in this forum. At VIM i Ihave seen many posts and reviews about the amount drinking that goes on there with that much booze and that many people someone gets stupid happens just about every vacation I've every gone on in the last 20 years.

For us CRT is about $500 less then VIM for the week we want to go. (mid March Spring break). While to some thats enough to say im going to CRT but after 25 years of traveling to resorts the old saying "you get what you pay for" is the general rule. (if you get beeter cheaper jump on it)

Crt strikes me as a beach bum kind of place. Nice beach deciet basic food slightly above average booze and average mexican rooms. They seem to have guests that keep returning alot

VIM is slightly more upscale Bigger pools, slightly better booze/food and more air conditioned public area's People on the PDC forum talk up the VIM alot.The problem is that people that are looking to book get a preconcieved vison of the resort and if it doesn't meet there expectations they give it a bad review.

Where Am I booking? Right now waiting it out maybe VIM or Excellence will come out with a price break that I will jump on in thenext month. (Last year it took to valentines day before there were any price breaks) if nothing pans out I'll book the CRT since the wife and I have no problem doing no frills adults only hopefully the italians won't be too bad the spring break week (Prices that week might keep them away ???) until then I'll keep watching my other 2 choices.