We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Cenote experience near Akumal

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Best Cenote experience near Akumal

I have been reading up on Cenotes near Akumal and wondered which if you had to chose would it be? We went to one whilst visiting Aktun Chen, not sure which it was, it was a hole in the ground you climbed down ladder steps and we swam in the underground cenote.

From the travellers articles the following are close to Akumal:-

Hidden World

Dos Ojos

.Gran Cenote,

Cenote Carwash,

Cenote Calaveras on the road toward Coba (but very close to Tulum)

Cenote Escondido and Cenote Cristal just south of Tulum pueblo on the highway toward Carrillo Puerto (again, just outside the pueblo, very close to Tulum).

Lots to chose from! I would not be able to jump into one but my son and husband would love to jump into a deep one. I am better in deeper water since snorkeling in the middle of the Indian Ocean but still have great difficulty in jumping and lowering myself into the water from a boat so def not be able t jump!!

so if you have been to one, did you think it a brill experience and why!!

78 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Cenote experience near Akumal

I too would love some more specific input on cenotes in the same general area. I'd like to spend the afternoon following The Jungle Place at a few cenotes along the highway...

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Cenote experience near Akumal

Hopefully some help full travellers can give us some reviews, rach

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Cenote experience near Akumal

I've only been to Dos Ojos so far (next trip, fingers crossed, I'll get to visit Caal Samula by Valladolid) and it had steps into the water. You also went into the caves....there were layers of divers below us while we snorkelled. Very cool!

Check out the photos on the December 11 review...you'll see the steps to the water. Quite easy to get in and out of.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g150813-d14…

Have a great time wherever you end up! :-)

Don't know if this site will be helpful to you but it helped me learn a little bit about what's in the area.

playamayanews.com/area_info/cenotes_the_sacr…

Edited: 11 January 2012, 15:41
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,460 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Cenote experience near Akumal

Cenotes Azul and El Eden, close to Akumal, almost directly across from Puerto Aventuras.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Cenote experience near Akumal

My apologies..the review date appears to be December 14 not 11. It's by TA member, SvR1705. :-)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,249 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Cenote experience near Akumal

here is a good site

playamayanews.com/area_info/cenotes_the_sacr…

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Cenote experience near Akumal

Same site I supplied I think VSD? Second photo from the top on the right hand side..anyone know if that's Caal Samula? :-)

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Cenote experience near Akumal

thanks both, will check those out now, definately going now as just off the phone from booking!!!

Any more Cenote views?

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Cenote experience near Akumal

Loved Dos Ojos! fabulous....

Not sure if Edventure tours have their cenotes up and running yet but was able to tour them when the site was being developed and they were gorgeous...google edventuretours

good luck w/ your research

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Cenote experience near Akumal

I saw in one person's comments on the TA link for Dos Ojos that there is a guide + snorkel equip + ride to from the gate for 400 pesos. Is that per person? Does anyone know what the cost would be if we all have our own snorkel gear and snorkel vests?

Price is clutch for deciding on this versus something like Hidden Worlds, in which the only-snorkel tour there is roughly the same cost ($39 USD)

Edited: 12 January 2012, 22:50
Reply to: Best Cenote experience near Akumal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted