We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

debating between a few hotels....help please :)

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland
Level Contributor
382 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
debating between a few hotels....help please :)

Looking real hard at grand palladium Kantehnah, dreams Puerto, and GBP. Read reviews, looked at activities close and grand pall seems to be the early frontrunner. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to snorkel, I may deep sea fish, abd we would like to do ruins and and swim with the turtles. Drink and food is very important as well.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: debating between a few hotels....help please :)

Just back from 16th x to Kantenah and have finished TR. Will send it to you. Wonderful resort. You can't go wrong.

Pics

travel.webshots.com/album/582130605pDsxJl…

Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: debating between a few hotels....help please :)

Grand Palladium Kantenah is my vote too.

I haven't been to the other 2 but I think GBP is the one that just added a dolphin pool and that make me very very sad.

GPK had the best AI food in my opinion of all the places I've been to. Lots of choices both at the buffet and the different ala cartes.There are lots of bars as well and they mostly all stock everything. Hemingways in the lobby has high end liquor and is a nice quite retreat for a night cap.

Snorkeling is okay right off the beach, however I didn't see any turtles. The beach is lovely for walks and we saw small rays right up near the shore, so be sure to do the shuffle if you are walking in the surf.

The collectivo stop is right outside the front gates and Akumal is 5mins south. Pack your snorkel gear and for the $2 collectivo fare plus a little walk from the highway and you'll be at the best place to see turtles as well as an amazing reef. You don't need to pay a guide, just swim out from La Hoya bar for turtles. Walk south a bit to Akumal Beach Resort and swim out to the reef, great snorkeling!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: debating between a few hotels....help please :)

turtles. fishing, ruins are all outside your resorts

So what are your resort priorities

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: debating between a few hotels....help please :)

pwrmaster, I think you will find in the replies that there are avid proponents of the Palladium and the Bahia, and a few who like the Akumal Beach Resort. I am in the camp of the Bahia (and I have stayed at the Palladium as well). That being said both the Bahia and Palladium are fabulous resorts that offer many amenities. The ABR is not as big, nor opulent, but does have a magical beach out its front door.

Food is a very subjective topic and I think the drinks are good at all of the 3 I have mentioned. What we need to know, to properly assist you, is as VSD has asked, what are your resort priorities?

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: debating between a few hotels....help please :)

Me also for GBP, large complex never feel s overcrowded, you can use all the facilities among the 3 hotels

Food in the gourmet restaurants is as good as I have had anywhere. Japanese show cooking also a lot of fun.

Buffet have a large variety and and different sections ie, italian,chinese etc

Free non motorised water sports on the beach, kayaks, hobbie kats etc

24 hour all inclusive. They say you have to pay for premium brands but every evening at the bars I was drinking Absolut vodka, Johnnie Walker whisky etc for no etc charge.

Pools are large lagoon type with swim up bars and there is also a great dive school here, which offer free hour long taster sessions in the pool and then you can opt to pay to go out on dives with the instructors.

Activity pools always have something going on, games, music etc but then the larger lagoon pools are pretty quiet without music and very relaxing.

Nightclub up at the hacienda if thats your thing is also included and open late,

They also have a sports bar up at the hacienda. They have a good selection of sports channels in your room which is excellent as I got to watch all Liverpools games while I was away :-)

All in all a good relaxing holiday venue,set in fantastic manicured grounds, great friendly staff and with plenty to do if you want or peace quiet and beautiful beach and ocean of you dont.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: debating between a few hotels....help please :)

Grand Palladium Kantenah for me, great resort, fab services and the vibe is just right, it really has everything, peace and quiet, lively, activities, great food, amazing staff, wonderful beaches, and its in a good location for getting out and about if you want to.

Rooms - i would say are adequate but not wow, unless you have a mayan suite. Nothing wrong with the rooms they are kept spotlessly clean and are roomy and fully equipped but we were in a junior suite and it was just an average room

I returned in Oct - read my lengthy review for lots more information!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: debating between a few hotels....help please :)

Two years ago we went to GP, stayed at Kantenah and loved everything except the margaritas. (I'm a bit of a tequila and margarita snob though) The beach was beautiful, although we did not snorkel. Breakfast and lunch food were good, but the ala carte dinners were delicious. We particularly liked the Italian and Texas Steak place. Sunday afternoon there is a wonderful lunch paella on the beach near the volleyball court. Never stayed at Dreams Puerto Adventuras, but our bus made a stop there last year. I got out to use the restroom and took a quick stroll. It was very loud and crowded in the pool area. Reminded me of Ocean City, Maryland if you've ever been there. We actually had booked Dreams and then changed at the last minute after I saw photos of a climbing wall in the ocean that seemed would take away from the views, and I am so glad we did. As for swimming with the turtles, Akumal Bay is the best, although you wont find a resort with ammenites comparable to the ones you are considering. You could always take a collectivo to Akumal Bay to snorkel and swim with the turtles for a day. If swimming with the turtles is high priority, I really think Akumal Bay is the best place to go. Check out Akumal Beach Resort reviews. Everyone seems to mention that. We are actually staying at ABR in March for a relaxing change and would be happy to provide further info upon our return, although as mentioned before, the ammenities cannot compare to GP. Have never been to the GBP, so cant comment on that. Hope this helps!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: debating between a few hotels....help please :)

If Palladium is a front runner you may also want to look at the Royal Yucatan section. Adults only with Royal service, premium liquors and additional gourmet restaurant just for Royal guests (This restaurant is my favorite on the resort - in my album the meals with EJ - El Jardin - in title took place there.), room service, either a double jacuzzi on the deck or an outdoor shower, Royal cart service, In room internet (N/C) Royal area on best part of beach. The only thing that some don't like is that the Royal is not on the beach such as the Kantenah Mayan suites are. However, some like the privacy of the Royal area as that area is restricted to use by Royal guests.

Edited: 13 January 2012, 17:26
cleveland
Level Contributor
382 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: debating between a few hotels....help please :)

Thanks for all the responses! room is not that important since i am barely in it, pools/jacuzzis are a factor and i would love to have one open late (past the normal 6-8 pm). i believe i saw the adult pool is open until midnight at GP......the ruins etc close by------is one way closer to the best things to do than the others? Not fighting over chairs on the beach would be nice as well. I am sure i am forgetting something, will check back soon and thanks again!

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
604 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: debating between a few hotels....help please :)

I agree with the Palladium. I love the resort I have stayed in Colonial, Kantenah, and Royal sections. I love the Royal the best but would be happy anywhere on the property.

One nice thing I love is I have always found chairs on the beach. We have never had to play the chair game.