We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

akumal bay - lockers?

Winnipeg, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
akumal bay - lockers?

I am going to GBP and want to go snorkelling to Akumal Bay

Are there lockers or showers there to store your things while you snorkel? I heard the little bar and food place there is great too, anyone have any comments? How far is it from GBP?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: akumal bay - lockers?

The Dive Center has lockers. It is about a 5 minute colectivo ride from GBP but then a bit of a walk to the beach. This question is right ih VSD's wheel house.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
176 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: akumal bay - lockers?

The walk along the beach is about 1 hour and 15mins. Bring some sandals as a few parts are rocky. There is a dive shop that will rent lockers for 6us and have a bathroom and showers too.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,437 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: akumal bay - lockers?

There are two dive shops and many places to eat - more info over in Top Questions

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

locker rentals will usually cost $10 US

Taxi/colectivo is 10 minutes away

Snorkeled about 2 hrs today - had a eagle ray get too interested in me

Edited: 04 February 2012, 23:32
Winnipeg, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: akumal bay - lockers?

How far out do you snorkel to see turtles and fish ? Are u allowed to feed the fish ? If so, what's best ?

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: akumal bay - lockers?

When we were there 3 weeks ago it was $6US for lockers/ use of the shower etc at the dive shop. We snorkelled out about 100 yards or sostraight out of the front of the dive shop and between the boat areas. The turtles were there but like any wild animal you might have to wait a little to see them. In our case it had been raining over the week before and visibility was ok but not exceptional. The turtles tend to be over the sandy sea grass areas. I am told that a little further swim out to the reef was where the fish were more plentiful but we were happy staying with the turtles.

As for feeding the fish I believe that is generally discouraged. There is a really nice video on reef etiquette from one of the Maui forums that I think is helpful here too.

http://forthesea.com/clips/clips-psa.html

michigan
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: akumal bay - lockers?

We rented some life vests, but they did not have any lockers available at that time (we we're going to use one, but the proprietor mentioned it). We got there around 10:30am. Get there early if you want a locker.

michigan
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: akumal bay - lockers?

Sorry, should have read "were not"..................

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: akumal bay - lockers?

I love eating at the luncheria counter right by the arches...and down at La Buena vida...

Look on the RH side of the forum and tons of topics etc..to point you in the right direction. Have fun.

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: akumal bay - lockers?

We took a taxi right to the back of the dive shop last year (cheap). I rented a locker and floatation vest for 10 or 12 bucks. Could have got full package including guide for 20 each. Beach is beautiful and laid back. Turtles are a ways out , but it is very shallow. Reef is a must do , but is quite a ways out , so use a floatation vest (so you can rest a bit). Even without free booze and a buffet , it was the best day of our Vacation. Will definitely go back any time we are in the area.

niagra area
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: akumal bay - lockers?

you must rent something at the dive shop to be able to rent a locker. i had my own snorkel gear and he wouldnt rent me one. Luckely a cpl from my resort let me lock up camera and wallet with their stuff. just go to grassy area off beach to see turtles.