We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 17 month old ?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NFLD
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 17 month old ?

I have been offered a good price on this Hotel and was wondering has anyone travelled to Mexico with a young child. He likes to nap a good bit. Does anyone have experience with a young child at this resort?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 17 month old ?

Ive seen quite a few families with small children. It is an extremely large resort. You would have to haul alot when traveling with a young child. Its up to you!!!

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 17 month old ?

Wifey says this is not your best choice with that aged child. Too mega of a resort to navigate, strollers getting on & off the trolley/train, beach very far away, pool & restaurants also a hike. And rooms have no dividers so you must sit in darkness while son naps.

Better choice is Catalonia Riviera Maya in a Suite. Same price as a standard room at other resorts, but the Suite has two separate rooms divided by two sliding doors. And it's very lux.

Plus you can stroll into the quaint town & see the dolphins and yachts for something offsite to do. Kids Club will let you use their shaded swingset. The whole resort is compact so no long walks to get anywhere.

Bye,

SeaBass

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
62 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 17 month old ?

I am going Feb 26-March 4 with my 22 month old. We will have extended family including both sets of grandparents going as well, so I think we will have lots of babysitters and help, we are greatly looking forward to it! I am sure there will be some challenges getting around as it is such a large resort, I anticipate we will spend most time at the pool and closer to our room to get back easily for naptime and such, but we will see how it goes. I find traveling with young ones, you will be surprised how adaptable they are to a new situation. I can report back when we get back to let you know how it all went! :)

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 17 month old ?

GP Girl,

That sounds like fun. When a Suite setup is not available, it helps to have multiple rooms...hopefully adjoining or next door to each other, so Junior can nap/go to bed early while adults sit next door awake. Thank goodness for the in-room minibar!!! And maybe a bartender or waiter will give you a bottle of wine.

That's how we rolled a few times when my two were under 4 yrs old, bringing grandparents or other family.

Other resorts we liked were the Franklyn D Resort & FDR Pebbles in Jamaica (Pebbles recently closed & reopened as a nudie resort!!!). Although not new & glam like the Riviera Maya resorts, they were very homey. And best of all...each room came with a PRIVATE NANNY DEDICATED TO YOU DAY & NIGHT!!! So many parents with infants loved it, like us stating this was their first real vacation since having kids! We all sat by the pool or bar looking at each other saying, "Now what are we supposed to do? No kids to care for!!" The nannies did everything: baths, change diapers, play, carry, comfort, go on walks, feed, and sit in the room while baby naps. SPECTACULAR. And when our kids were with us at the pool or beach, the nanny would get us drinks!

Enjoy your family time,

SeaBass

Edited: 10 February 2012, 17:59
Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
62 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 17 month old ?

SeaBass, WOW, I am going to have to look into that resort for another vacation, sounds absolutely heavenly! Thanks for the info!

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 17 month old ?

We are going to grand Bahia principe tulum in 2 weeks with a 19 months old and I was wondering if you had all enjoyed your vacation. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 17 month old ?

I have been to several resorts in the R-Maya area with my kids, now 13, 10 and 5. We are headed to GBT next week. My youngest was just 10 months old his first time, which was at Grand Sirenis. We have been to Iberostar Tucan, Sandos Playacar, Dreams Tulum, Palladium, Marina El Cid and the Iberostar complex near Puerto Morelos. Young children at large resorts is a challenge and you might do better with a more compact resort like the El Cid in Puerto Morelos. No matter where you choose, make sure you take a lightweight umbrella stroller, lots of wipes, suncreen, hat, rashguard, meds, snacks, reading materials for yourself during naps, and most of all, realistic expectations. There will be lots of down time and some tired cranky moods from even the most pleasant child. On the plus side, you will have great memories, pics to show your child and, personally I think my kids have benefited from being exposed to all the different nationalities and cultures represented.

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 17 month old ?

We took our daughter to the Bahia Coba when she was 22 months old. She had a great time. Riding the little trams was a favorite for her , and she went to the kids mini club every night and joined in to the fun even though all the other kids were older. Getting around is no problem , we left the stroller in the room almost the whole time. We did a day trip to Akumal bay , which was awesome , and we went into Playa Del Carmen one evening. The staff at the resort , much like most of the locals we met , truly seem to love children. We didn't get to go this past winter , but will go fore sure in late 2012 , probably to the Bahia Coba again .

The Tulum beach not the best for youngsters , but the bay at the coba beach is perfect , and only a few minutes away via the tram. My personal opinion is that you will likely have an awesome time. Enjoy.

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
929 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 17 month old ?

We have travelled with our son since before he was 1 year old. We had no problems. We would get into a routine. Got up in the morning, wnt to breakfast and then a play on the beach while it was cool. Then a little nap back in room or swim in pool. Back to lunch and then room for nap. Then back to beach or pool until time to get ready for supper. Hen a show or walk around resort in evening. He then slept soundly. It was no problem at all for us. Now, he is 6 and can nearly pack himself and needs no naps. It is just my husband and I that need them!

Polmont, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 17 month old ?

We are just back today and although we did not travel with young children , the people that did had no problems. The trams let you take the strollers on unfolded, the quiet pool had a little shelf area where we sat and watched babies and toddlers splash about as it is only up to their ankles. The beach is a short stroll, sometimes a good way to get babies to sleep, and there is a nice breeze. The Coba beach shelves gently and again we say many tiny babies sitting on the sand with the water lapping round them. The staff love kids and help you up and down both the lobby steps and the buffet steps with strollers. Many young families had the toddlers in the pool after 6pm when it was still warm but the sun was away. Try and get a villa on the ground floor in a central location , recommend villas 22 and 23 and you will have a great time.