We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing my jewelry.

Fair Oaks
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Wearing my jewelry.

I will be traveling to the area with my husband this summer and have been given so many different opinions. Do I wear my good jewelry or leave it at home ?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,500 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wearing my jewelry.

Within a resort - no issues

Common sense if outside the resort

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wearing my jewelry.

You are travelling to a poorer country, as safe as it is there is no sense in creating an chance opportunity for someone if you are off the resort.

Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wearing my jewelry.

Leave it home.

I lost a diamond and sapphire earring while I was swimming at Little Dix Bay in Virgin Gorda. I assumed the spring back was secure but no dice.

If anyone found it, please PM me! ;)

Edited: 14 February 2012, 02:13
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,531 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wearing my jewelry.

I'm always more worried about losing jewellery than having it stolen - either from my room or my person. Sunscreen and water can make even rings that you think are secure slip off. For that reason, anything that I'd be upset about losing stays home when I go on vacation.

Fair Oaks
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wearing my jewelry.

Thank you all so much . My common sense was telling me to leave it home with the exception of basics.

michigan
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wearing my jewelry.

IMHO, never take anything you are not willing to lose.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,500 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wearing my jewelry.

My bh has lost more jewelry at home - never lost anything in Mexico

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wearing my jewelry.

I do more 'costume' type of jewelry — semi-cheap dangle earings and long necklaces to go with dresses at night, but nothing cost more than $10 to replace.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wearing my jewelry.

So, we should never wear anything we wouldn't want to lose? I wear the same stuff in Mexico that I wear at home. We don't go off the beaten path, we just hang out at a resort, in Akumal, or we go to the usual tourist spots (ruins, etc.) Probably more likely to get mugged in Chicago than we are there! As for losing it, if it's an heirloom, I don't wear it (here or on vacation). Anything else can be replaced, it's only jewelry. I bought it to wear it. Even my wedding ring, or the special earrings my husband bought me - they're insured. I love to wear them! But if it's going to cause you stress on your vacation, worrying about it.... then leave it at home.

Everyone has a different comfort level, just posting this probably indicates that you would be more comfortable leaving your jewelry behind.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wearing my jewelry.

I wear my wedding rings...I'm scared to leave them home...I'm afraid my house could get robbed and them stolen. I just do NOT take them off while on vacation..but that is my protocol anywhere...

I'm more comfortable with them on me.