We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito repellant at Grand Palladium

British Columbia
14 posts
Save Topic
Mosquito repellant at Grand Palladium

Are mosquitoes an issue in March at the Grand Palladium?

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito repellant at Grand Palladium

Mosquitoes are an issue if it rains or if you go into the jungle for any reason. I would be sure to take some sort of deet with you.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito repellant at Grand Palladium

March is not usually rainy but you're in a jungle so bring some.

ladysmith, bc...
Destination Expert
for Akumal
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito repellant at Grand Palladium

just get a little one and slip it in your baggie - or you could get a smaller pump bottle and fill that from a larger one. i make my own and put it in a little pump bottle. works great

Oakville
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito repellant at Grand Palladium

We were at the GP last March and we didn't get any bites. I am the type that usually gets eaten alive everywhere I go and it wasnt an issue there. We even dined several evenings outside at El Jardine and it is surrounded by trees. I brought spray and afterbite, but happy to say I never needed to use it!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,804 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito repellant at Grand Palladium

We used to always bring DEET and then never used it. Now we never bother bringing any with us.

I would not bother packing it and if you find you need it, look locally for 'Autan' brand repellant, it's the best, they say.

UK
Level Contributor
899 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito repellant at Grand Palladium

Hi,

You actually make your own Mosquito repellent ?

Care to share your recipe ?

Noodles x

ladysmith, bc...
Destination Expert
for Akumal
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito repellant at Grand Palladium

sure noodles - 1 cup distilled water 2 tbsp vodka and 15-20 drops lavendar essential oil. stir it and pour into a pump bottle - i also spray our pillows at night in case any get in the room. mosquitos hate the smell and won't come around at all. now don't ask me what the vodka does because i have no idea but i have been using this for a few years - in mexico and at home (i live in an area that they come out at dusk and like to bite the back of my knees) and it actually does work great. i put some in a tiny pump travel bottle and it fits great in my little evening purse just in case.

minneapolis minn
Level Contributor
654 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito repellant at Grand Palladium

reason your not getting bit is those darn mosquitoes are drunk...lol

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito repellant at Grand Palladium

We just returned from the Palladium and did not get any mosquito bites. The very first evening when going through one of the wooden walkways from the lobby to our Kantenah room we were bitten by a bunch of sand fleas or something on our ankles. This was real quick for only a few feet and this was the only time all week.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
604 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquito repellant at Grand Palladium

I always pack some just in case. It is expensive to buy at the resort and better to safe than sorry... In all my trips to GP I have had only 1 trip where they were bad and believe me I was glad I had spray. Prior to us arriving the area had received a lot of rain and brought them out....