We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refurb at Grand Palladium?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Refurb at Grand Palladium?

I have read here and there that rooms are getting refurbished at Grand Palladium. Does anyone know exactly what they are doing or in which sections? Or has anyone stayed in a newly refurbished room? I'm looking into the resort for next summer, but the dated rooms are off putting for me. However, the resort itself looks gorgeous. Really hoping if a room refurbishment is going on it will be completed by summer 2013!

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Refurb at Grand Palladium?

They have the Kentanah and royal yucatan suites planned in for this year to start with. So i would imagine these areas will be done for 2013.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Refurb at Grand Palladium?

Hey please don't be put off by the rooms at GP my first impression before we left for our first trip to the GPK was the pictures do make the rooms look a bit dated, however when we arrived I was pleasantly surprised.

Since stayed at GPC aswell and would return in a heart beat. It's a amazing resort which you won't be disapointed with.

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Refurb at Grand Palladium?

We stayed at GPC (colonial) in 2008 and the room & bathroom were very nice. The shower (no tub) was all tile with a glass wall facing outwards and had no door. It was pretty updated looking we thought.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Refurb at Grand Palladium?

As Neil said, they are beginning in May with Kantenah and Royal. If you are concerned then book the Royal as it is newer than the other sections. I was there in January & Feb in Kantenah and though the rooms might be described by some in unfavorable terms, my Mayan suite was immaculate with newish drapes, linens, etc.

Flagler Beach...
Level Contributor
248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Refurb at Grand Palladium?

Hi Anne, any idea when in May the Royal rooms are being updated?

We arrive on May 31st and are hoping to avoid noise from construction work..

somerset
Level Contributor
393 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Refurb at Grand Palladium?

I believe noise etc will be at a minimum. Take a look at the palladium addicts web site.

Leigh Gtr Mcr
Level Contributor
429 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Refurb at Grand Palladium?

Refurbished or not refurbished......the place is fabulous!! There's no way I would let the thought of getting an unrefurbished room stop me from going!!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Refurb at Grand Palladium?

The place is wonderful. Management is responding to guest request for some updates and they wll be sensisitve to do it in small increments so as not to bother anyone. NO major construction. Just "quiet" refurbishment..

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Refurb at Grand Palladium?

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm really hoping they're replacing the duvets on the beds for something less tacky motel-looking. But, as long as everything is clean and the rest of the resort is beautiful, it doesn't really matter if the bedding is ugly.

Does anyone know if pillows are getting upgraded? It seems that almost every review I have read complains of the small flat pillows and being charged to get something better from the "pillow menu".

ladysmith, bc...
Destination Expert
for Akumal
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Refurb at Grand Palladium?

they have already replaced all the pillows in the resort and if you are in the royal section the pillow menu is free.

from what i read the sofa beds in royal are also being replaced - painting lamps bedding artwork etc are all being done. they are also putting out more drink tables at the beach between the loungers. that will be great