We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP Water Sports

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
GBP Water Sports

Can anyone comment on the available water activities at GBP?

Is snorkeling included, and if yes how long per day? How's the equipment?

I see a reference to a 1 hour limit for many activities - is that accurate?

Has anyone windsurfed or kayaked? How was your experience?

Leaving in 2 days! Getting excited - I look forward to your comments.

Guelph
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP Water Sports

The water sport area seemed quite congested. There are the kayaks, windsurfers in/out of the water in the same area as the jet skis and scuba boats. The lifeguards blow their whistles constantly at the kayaks/windsurfers so they don't tip over from the motor vehicles! I did not use any of the water sports but enjoyed for a brief moment watching it all!

Anyhow, there seemed to be enough for everyone. Snorkels are available, but if you really enjoy snorkeling I would suggest you to buy your own and not rely on others to provide you with disinfected equipment. (Maybe $30.00 or so at Canadian Tire for mask, snorkel. Sometimes Costco has a good deal with fins too!). With all the waves the beach is usually Red flagged each day, but that did not seem to stop anyone from getting to see the fishies along the shore. The area behind the sand whales was yellow flagged when we were there.

I didn't really answer much about your questions (sorry) but hopefully gave you a bit more info to go on.

Good Luck and have fun!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP Water Sports

Thanks - helpful info. What is a sand whale? What do the flag colors mean?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP Water Sports

The flags you'd typically see are green, yellow, or red. Green means low risk regarding ocean conditions. Yellow is medium risk and exercise caution, and red means a high risk and use extreme caution. When the sea is flat as glass you usually see a green flag for example. Rough waves and wind could bring about a yellow or red flag.

Personally I don't go in on red flag days as there could be undertows or other currents present, but I go in on green or yellow.

Edited: 19 April 2012, 02:28
chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP Water Sports

Hi-we just got back from GBP. Their free activities include snorkeling, kayaking (single and double) , hobie cat (I think you have to take a lesson first) and boogie boards. You get 1 hour a day of each. We brought our own snorkels and masks (because we have them), my kids kayaked almost everyday.

The reason the lifeguards were blowing their whistles all the time (at least when we were there) was becuase the kayaks, etc cannot be on or near the protected reef areas. You will see bouys around the areas.

Hope this helps and have a good trip.

-kelly

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,947 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP Water Sports

Sand whale

huge rubber bag filled with sand to protect the beach from the waves

6. Re: GBP Water Sports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:17