We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Complex

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
398 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Complex

Just booked for August and for those of you who have been to this mega resort are there any hidden gems to know before we go?We have never been to a resort this large and are looking for tips-quiet area of beach,tucked away bars etc...

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
6,372 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Complex

Do you know in what you'll be? Tulum, Akumal or Coba?

Also, please take a look in the "Top Questions" on the right the topic "GBP Food, Bars, Beaches, Spas, Pools, Gyms, WIFI".

To help you plan the spots you can take a look at this map: www.resortsmaps.com/popup.html…

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Complex

The Dolce Vita is nice for breakfast & lunch, no booking required, it overlooks the sea & is nice & peaceful, not as hectic as the buffets, it's in the Akumal section.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Complex

Thanks for thr above post.... Didn't know we could use dolce vita for breakfast and lunch!

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Complex

It's really nice, there isn't as much choice, but it's a lot calmer, bliss. Only 15 more sleeps.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Complex

there's an observation tower near the Coba section (follow the map to find it) - it's pretty neat. If you need to buy souveniers - head over to the Hacienda - tons of little stores (mostly selling the same things). You can also rent bikes for an hour at a time, which is fun, but it's a little difficult dodging the trams & cars. There are bars everywhere and lots going on at night - it's fun to just walk around. There's a smaller buffet restaurant at the Coba section that seemed to sometimes be open - we never made it over there - it was in the premier lobby. The Coba premier lobby is a nice place to get drinks at night if you're in that section.

On our last night there we had to get up at 3:30 am to get our transfer to the airport - I was surprised that there were people in the Coba queit pool since technically it is "closed" - mostly just couples out for a romantic night-time swim - wished we had thought of that before we had to leave! Of course I've heard they dump the chemcials into the pool at night, so I'd watch out for that :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
632 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Complex

A few of the a la cartes are open for breakfast and lunch. I went to Tortuga (by the Tulum small pool) because it was next door to our room. :-)

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Bahia Complex

When the resorts are booked near or at capacity they open up some the a la cartes for breakfast and lunch to offset the buffets. My wife and I have been during the off season and were disappointed that our favourite Dolce Vita was closed.

If you want an interesting walk, walk south off the resort from the Akumal section and you will find a little cove. Don't worry as all beaches are public property in Mexico. You can go for a private swim in the calm water once you get past the rocks and onto the beach. It's a nice break from crowds. Keep in mind that if you get hurt you are off the resort and no longer the resorts responsibility.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Bahia Complex

Here's a few more:

- when you rent a bike, spend your hour across the highway at the Sian Kaan section - you'll see the hotel, the golf course, and some private residences. Nice quiet roads. Good for jogging and walking as well.

- you can go on a Segway tour (extra cost) that goes through the resort and up through Sian Kaan as well to the ecological reserve west of the Sian Kaan. Sign up at the dive shop on the beach.

- it's really easy to get a Collectivo or taxi to go to an off-resort activity. Favourites are snorkelling at Akumal Beach, eating at the Tequillaville restaurant in Akumal Pueblo, and checking out 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen

- one of the quietest and nicest section of beaches is in front of the Akumal Golden area at the extreme south end of the resort in front of Akumal Villa 66. There's also a bar there that's not on the resort map (shhh, don't tell anyone I told you)

9. Re: Gran Bahia Complex

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 11:16