We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve

Hi all,

Will be staying at GBP Sian Kaan next month and was wondering if anyone has been to the Biosphere?

Is it far from resort?

Worth a visit?

Or would X-Caret be better?

thanks

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
302 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve

The Biosphere and Xcaret are complete opposites, so where you choose to go will depend upon the experience you want to have.

The Biosphere starts at the very south end of the beach at Tulum. You can either rent a car and drive yourself, or go on one of the tours that is available and that include pick-ups at your hotel. Driving is an adventure in itself. There is almost nothing except the natural surroundings--amazing beaches (with few or no people), lagoons, rivers, wildlife, etc. Part of Jimmy Buffet's book "This Salty Piece of Earth" is set there.

XCaret and XelHa are very nice theme parks right off the highway.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve

Have a look at www.cesiak.org. They do very nice tours into the biosphere.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve

My wife and I went on a jeep tour there a few years back.

We signed up at one of the tour agencies just off the GBP Tulum lobby. We took a van to Tulum (the town) and got into a convoy of Jeep Libertys. The drive is a challenge - you feel like the road had been recently bombed and you're dodging craters. I was glad it wasn't using my own car!

There was a stop at a bridge where the freshwater lagoon flows to the sea. At Punta Allen the local fisherman took us out to look for wild turtles and dolphins (we saw both, although the dolphins were a way off). It also included a visit to a mangrove area, snorkelling on the reef, and a visit to an unspoilt beach area right out of a Corona ad.

It was a full day. I thought it was a good trip, but once was enough. My wife, on the other hand, still feels it was the best excursion we have ever gone on.

- Rob

Ripley, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve

We have just got back and did this trip last week, we travelled with First Choice and did the trip through them.

Its a wonderful trip but a hard one, you are 3 hours on a open sided truck (there and back) on a very bumpy road through the jungle,your hair is like clay and you are filthy when you return.

It is worth it because its all so natural and untouched we went out on speedboats in the mangroves and open sea with dolphins diving around us and the snorkelling is good lots of fish and turtles.Pelicans and Cormorants fishing for sardines.finished off on a beach with water so shallow you could walk out for ages,so stunning like the bounty advert: :) Lunch at a little village Punta Allen.

Worth it but at least an 11 hour day,prob wouldn't do it again but glad I did.

East Riding of...
Level Contributor
359 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve

We did this trip last year and I'm afraid to say we were extremely disappointed - so much so that we were refunded 1/3 of our money (about £130 - it's not a cheap trip!)

To be fair, I think we were oversold the trip by the rep at our hotel - at no point were we told we would spend 3 hours being thrown around a rickety old Jeep! We had our 9yo son with us and would never have subjected him to that! He was covered in bruises the next day. When we finally got off the Jeep and onto the boat we spent a couple of hours searching for wildlife. We saw 1 turtle and 1 dolphin but because ther were a few boats doing exactly the same thing I felt like when they were spotted the poor animals were almost corralled by the boats and I didn't feel good about that.

The "sumptuous lunch on a pristine beach" turned out to be a very meagrely buffet in a breeze block building next to a very dirty beach in Punta Allen.

The worst thing about the day was the knowledge that we would have to spend 3 more hours on the Jeep to get back!

We did this tour as we wanted something different as we've been to the area 3 times and have done xcaret and xel ha twice.

The best trip we ever went on was the Coba experience where you visit a Mayan village as well as the pyramid. We learned loads on that trip and saw crocodiles, coatis and a praying mantis all in their natural habitat.

Ripley, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve

Yes I quite agree that the 3 hours there and back is hard and we thought there was lack of information on how hard this trip actually is.

We knew it was 3 hours there and back but we were not told not to go if you have a bad back pregnant etc until you actually get to the truck pick up stop ( bit late then)

We did enjoy our day but can understand why others wouldn't and they should be advising customers in full or they may get more demanding refunds.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
30 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve

We took the Cesiak tour and really enjoyed it. We visited several small Mayan ruins, floated down canals, swam in a cenote and hit one of the most unspoiled stretches of beach imaginable. Yes, the road can be rough and the trip takes awhile, but it was well worth it.

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve

Been there twice, drove both times, last time did not go all the way to Punta Allen but stopped for lunch and a beer at Rancho Sol Caribe outside PA. Great time but you have to watch carefully for the potholes.

9. Re: Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:16