We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach BBQ at palladium 31st may 2012

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Beach BBQ at palladium 31st may 2012

Hi

Did anyone attend the beach BBQ at the grand palladium on 31st may? If so can you please let me know.

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
174 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach BBQ at palladium 31st may 2012

I've just read a review called the good, BAD, and ugly on kantenah stating they got very bad food poisoning at this Particular BBQ.

Hope wasn't the same for you!

Edited: 14 June 2012, 23:18
manchester
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach BBQ at palladium 31st may 2012

Unfortunate lizzee my husband was one of them which is why I'm trying to find out of anyone else had it or indeed if anyone else had the same type of meat at a different time who didn't have it so I can contact the hotel with my concerns and accurate information. If someone was I'll after eating the same type of meat at a completely different time (eg 2 hours after we ate) then it is probably the whole batch of meat. If someone at the meat at a different time but were ok then it's easier to conclude that it was a small number if bad pieces.

Emma

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach BBQ at palladium 31st may 2012

Contact the reviewer by PM ans see what he ate and who else told him they were sick.

Hope hubby is okay now.

Edited: 15 June 2012, 12:57
manchester
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach BBQ at palladium 31st may 2012

I have already done this and he ate the same thing as did the person he referred to in his review. Just wondering if there were any more cases or indeed anyone else who ate the same thing who was ok. An accusation of food poisoning is a serious thing so I want to get as many facts as possible before pointing the finger in a review. I did t speak to anyone else on hol who went to the BBQ so only seriously considered food poisoning when reading the review.

Hubby is ok now but it did of course put a downer on a few days of the hol

Emma

astoria, ny
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach BBQ at palladium 31st may 2012

We were looking forward to the beach BBQ on our upcoming trip but i am now concerned about the reports of food poisoning. Have you alerted the hotel and if so how did they react? I know it is easy to catch a bug in these hot climates, especially the summer. My daughter got a bug 2 years ago during our trip to the GBP and we were told a lot of people get stomach distress at these big AI because it is hard to keep all the food at the correct temp's.

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach BBQ at palladium 31st may 2012

In the UK we are covered by the package charter and thats no excuse that a hotel finds it hard to keep the food at the correct temperatures.

By law in the UK any UK tour operator has to ensure that food in any hotel they sell a package holiday to has to adhere to the minimum and maximum temperatures of both hot and cold food and it is up to the hotel to have their staff check with food temperature probes that food is being kept at the correct temperatures and they should keep daily written evidence of this.

manchester
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach BBQ at palladium 31st may 2012

I have emailed Felipe who is a senior manager for the Palladium chain to I will let you know what his response his and then I will share more information about what has happened. I think its only fair that the hotel get a chance to responds to my concerns before I make serious accusations (but to be fair I did report it whilst there too!)

Emma

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach BBQ at palladium 31st may 2012

It is hard to prove food poisoning without stool samples. Given that both people were at the same resort, and likely had more in common that just one dish (same restuarants earlier in the week, same staff members, same food products used in different restaurats) it could have been the meat at the BBQ - or it could have been a drink at the beach bar, an item from breakfast, or indeed some sort of bug in the pool water or sea, a virus that was unrelated to food consumption, etc. Identifying the type of toxin (via stool sample) combined with the timeframe during which the person got sick can help narrow it down.

Some toxins act very quickly - symtoms within half an hour or so of eating, right up to several days (or even weeks in some cases).

I read things about people getting things like "e-coli poisoning" the same evening after they ate something - but e-coli typically presents 3-4 days after consumption. Campylobacter, probably the most common form of 'food poisoning' (it can also be spread from person to person) most often from improperly cooked meat, seafood and poultry as well as unpasturized dairy and raw vegetables, takes 2-4 days to present.

Absolutely let the hotel know there was a problem, but unless you had stool samples taken (or indeed kept samples of the meat you suspect), claiming it was that meat at the BBQ could actually cause issues in them not investigating properly (e.g. if he got sick that night, and the toxin was Campylobacter [not an unreasonable assumption, being the most common], then it would almost certainly NOT be the meat, but something from a couple of days earlier, be it at the resort, on the plane, etc).

manchester
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach BBQ at palladium 31st may 2012

I respect your opinion but you do not know all of the information as I do and it is impossible for you to pass judgement. You will notice that I have not put specifics on here purposely because it is not my intention to bad mouth the hotel or cause unnecessary worry. I simply wanted a way of seeing how other people were that evening.

I have been in touch with senior management who has provided an excellent reply (they have not admitted fault nor have they denied fault...at the end of the day without medical tests we will not know but can only go off the information that we have and if they had actually taken all of our reports seriously at the time then tests could have been done!)

Emma

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach BBQ at palladium 31st may 2012

I'm not passing judgement, I am simply observing that two of the most common forms of food poisoning associated with meat don't appear in the 4-6 hour window the reviewer mentioned (and you said it was the same as them I think?) and that if you tell the resort 'it was X' you risk them not finding the true cause (as they wouldn't know where else to investigate). People often incorrectly assume that it is the last meal they ate that caused their sickness, but in the majority of cases (such as e-coli, campylobacter etc) it isn't.

I was there during the same timeframe, and I thought the food handling was some of the best I have seen in AI hotels - I saw staff replace utensils frequently, take temperature readings often, and wiped surfaces down. I wasn't keen on the birds around the beach bar, but you could always order freshly cooked food from the kitchen if the buffet caused you any concern.