We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes at GBP

Ithaca
11 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitoes at GBP

I have read about the mosquito problem at all the GBP resorts and I was wondering if they are a problem during the day or is it just at night? I want to make sure I'm prepared! Any suggestions on spray without deet?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,999 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes at GBP

At most resorts the mosquitoes are the worst just as the sun goes down and can be bothersome at night.

Deet really is the most effective repellant I've found. I use one by Off which is touted for use with kids and it doesn't smell too awful. I've tried using the Off wipes with very limited success. I always take repellent with me to Mexico - more often than not, I don't need it. It is available down there too but, like sunscreen lotion, it's horribly expensive at the resorts.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
590 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes at GBP

We were at the Gran Bahia Coba last week and there were quite a few mosquitoes. The workers were fumigating everyday and I used Watkins insect repellant (28.5% deet) and didn't get one bite. Others we met at the resort who used Off and Skintastic complained about several mosquito bites. I have used several different brand names of repellants in the past and find Watkins is the only one that actually works.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
14,363 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
England
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes at GBP

I used lifesystems 100+ (100% deet) spray.

Got a couple of bites - Due to lack of spraying myself!

You can buy from halfords...

halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/produ…

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes at GBP

Hi

Am at the GBP Sian kaan now and the mossies are pretty bad- I've got about 6 bites and hubby has way more - only even here 5 days and have sprayed day and night!

Defo not just at night for us

Mentioned in this post
The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum
The Sian Ka'an at Grand...
114 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
England
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes at GBP

Anne - go and buy the "OFF" spray from the Hacienda shops or the gift shop at Tulum just through the lobby. It works a treat.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
497 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes at GBP

Anne I like to put some bounce dryer sheets in my pockets at night and they smell good too..I also take vitamin B starting 2 weeks before I go.mozzies can smell it in your blood..works for me..have a great trip :)

Ithaca
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes at GBP

Thank you for all of your replies! I will have to look into your suggestions.

Anne, I will be at the Sian Kaan in a little over a week and we are bringing my 15 month old daughter so I'm a bit concerned to hear the mossies are bad right now. I purchased some Badger repellant for her. I really hope it works! Keep us updated on the weather!

Mentioned in this post
The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum
The Sian Ka'an at Grand...
114 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
8. Re: Mosquitoes at GBP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 05:41