We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Del Carmen

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
870 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Del Carmen

Hi,

A group of us are thinking about having an evening out in Playa del Carmen during our stay at the Palladium. Would we still be able to catch a Collectivo back to the Hotel say around 10-00pm ? Also,Discos and clubs are a thing of the past for us,so are there any bars that like to play the older stuff,particularly 60 or 70s music ? Finally,can someone recommend a good resturant that wont break the bank, but does serve up a good selection of traditional Mexican food ?

Noodles x

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Del Carmen

Take a taxi.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Del Carmen

I don't think the coletivos run that late, no problem going to PDC.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Del Carmen

I'm old and and a really quite a frugal person but in this case I would go with the Co-Pilot and share the cab fare amongst the group . PDC is a great place at night to walk and gawk and eat and drink in a very safe very well lit touristy environment . There are street entertainers , lots of streetside bars and cafes both on and above 5th Ave , the pedestrian only walkway that stretches for many , many blocks . Lots of free fun , small art galleries and window shopping , people watching etc. There are hundreds of restaurants in all price ranges so you could share a bunch of snacks at many places as you wander or sit down to 100 peso entrees at a place like Las Brisas tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g150812-d11… Wah Wah beach Bar often has live music of the sort you descibe . On the beach at Calle 2 , a short walk off of 5th Ave near where your colectivo will drop you off http://www.wahwahbeachbar.com/ . Even with controlled drinking I bet you'll want to stay untill midnight at least . Cheers

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Del Carmen

I would recommend taking a taxi.

UK
Level Contributor
870 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Del Carmen

Hi,

Sounds great.

Some of our group have slight walking difficulties,but that will only give us even more opportunity to sample the delights on 5th Ave. Just out of curiosity,what kinda price should we expect to pay for a Taxi from the Grand Palladium to that part of PDC ?

Noodles x

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Del Carmen

About 250/280 peso. Haggle a deal before leaving.

:-)

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,167 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Del Carmen

Plus 1 to whatever everyone said above. :-) Depending on how many are in your group you might need more than 1 taxi or a taxi van?

Carboncito's was one of my favourite places to eat (plus it was convenient as I stayed in Hotel Cielo about 2 steps from the front desk to my table..lol). They have a good happy hour from 3pm or 4pm to 6pm or 7pm....it wa 6 beers for 120 pesos and margaritas for 20 or 25..sorry can't remember exactly and it wasn't due to overdrinking. :-) They had excellent food, great prices and service - located at 5th av and calle 4.

Have fun Noodles! :-)

Edited: 09 July 2012, 22:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Del Carmen

For sure recommend a nice eve in PDC we've enjoy many also in our trips to Palladium. Got taxis both ways.

Even the lively bars like Senior Frogs and Blue Parrot (lots of others also, these names just sprung to mind)don't get busy till late, are worth checking out, as many have great beach front locations and very relaxing to watch the world go by!

For specific resturants and bars, post your question on the PDC forum where you will get some good info.

There are some great resturants in PDC your spoilt for choice! Check the resturant reviews on this site, I've found they very helpful in the past.

UK
Level Contributor
870 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Del Carmen

Thanks for all the info & advice everyone.

Very much appreciated.

Noodles x

10. Re: Playa Del Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 06:15