We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favourite beach read

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Favourite beach read

What's this years favourite beach read, please not 50 Shades Of Grey. lol. could do with some recommendations, thanks.

1. Re: Favourite beach read

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 August 2012, 18:05
Cool, California
Level Contributor
92 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favourite beach read

Would you be willing to share your site? I'm looking for a good book.

Thanks!

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favourite beach read

I always like to take the latest James Patterson book. I like the short chapters for the fact that I can always be done with a chapter in a minute if I want to change gears in a hurry. Plus, I just enjoy his style.

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favourite beach read

Here is a couple links on some older similar threads

tripadvisor.com/…36078268

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k37041…

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favourite beach read

anything by-

Jeffrey Deaver

David Baldacci

Frederick Forsyth

Nicci French

Nelson De Mille

Michael Connolly

That should keep you going :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
433 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favourite beach read

I agree with the James Patterson suggestion. He's a great writer! I love the short chapters, especially when I'm on vacation and tend to have a short attention span.

I also like reading about Mexico. Here are a couple that I liked:

Xtabentum by Rosy Hugener Xtabentum: A Novel of Yucatan is a story of two young women set in the years following the Mexican Revolution in Merida, Yucatan, one of the wealthiest cities in the world at the time. Manda Diaz is from the “divine caste,” a small group of families of European descent who dominate the politics and economy of the region. Amanda’s lifelong friend, Carmen, is from the opposite end of the social spectrum, a Mayan Indian who is the daughter of one of the Diaz family servants.

Playa Punch by C. J. Sharky Life in the Roo! Regulars to the area will recognize lots of places in this novel. He lives in the area.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
90 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favourite beach read

Just returned last night, and everyone was reading 50 Shades! I devoured Gone Girl while I was there -- highly recommend.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,217 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Favourite beach read

Don't forget the classic

Lost World on Quintanna Roo

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favourite beach read

I read two really good ones this summer:

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.....The story was about a young author who lived with Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera. It was really good.

Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende.....it took place in the "DR" around the 1770's moving on to New Orleans. Loved this book.

Thanks Betty for Xtabentum!!!!! Sounds great and going to order it.

10. Re: Favourite beach read

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 18:16