We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand serenis

scotland
Level Contributor
748 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Grand serenis

Looking to go here in summer 2013. The only thing putting me off is the hole in the wall in the junior suites between the bedded area and the bathroom. Is there a seperate toilet or is it in the bathroom too? Not very hygenic if it is x

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,473 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand serenis

It's not unhygenic in the least; just a bit "familiar" if you're not on very intimate terms with your room-mate.

You can request a room that has the hole glassed in - but even then, there's about a three or four inch gap all the way around this frosted glass panel, which means the bathroom is neither light nor sound nor odour proof.

Immediately the other side of the glass panel is the oversized tub. Next to that, on the same wall as the bedhead is the sink. The WC is in its own little cubicle within the bathroom and has a frosted glass door on it. This door doesn't go all the way to the ceiling though, so you've still got the noise/odour issue. Next to the WC cubicle (at 90 degrees to the sink) you've got the shower. This was my biggest complaint - the jets are aimed at the door, so there's no way to avoid getting the floor all wet when you shower. Be very, VERY careful because those tile floors are slippery at the best of times; they're lethal when wet.

To avoid midnight bathroom visits waking everyone up, we simply left the light on in the WC. Given that the light was filtered through two frosted glass panes (the WC door and the one that filled the hole), it provided a nice night light. To combat odour issues, I took a couple of teensy bottles of very concentrated air freshener (Glad makes 'em) - in fact I always bring a couple of these when I travel. Noise issues are harder to deal with - you'll just have to banish your room-mate to the balcony if you're shy. I was sharing a room with my husband and daughter, so we'd just let 'er rip!!!

were harder to deal with but was filtered your room-mate, . However, that door doesn

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand serenis

Had NO problems, traveled with friends.

Separate toilet area, separate shower area, and glass partition between tub (which we never used anyway) and the room.

We always bring a tiny nightlight to put on in the bathroom for night "walks".

If someone else was using the toilet or shower, we'd be either over in the sitting area of the jr suite, or out on the balcony, or asleep. And we never sit on the nearest bed staring toward the bathroom areas so we really never heard nor smelled our traveling companions! LOL

scotland
Level Contributor
748 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand serenis

Thanks for your replies. I am going with my husband and 15 year old daughter. I think i will request a room with the bit partitioned off. My daughter would have a fit. I always take air freshners too. I will email them nearer the time xx

Chicago
Level Contributor
236 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand serenis

Hope they will honor your request liasmum, they didn't honor mine :( and it was horrible. I hated the room, no privacy at all.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand serenis

Note to self, pick up a non see through shower curtain for the "hole in the wall" :)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand serenis

I stayed with my Mom at GS last year and we did get a room with the frosted glass.

It was not an issue for us, but if you do get a room with a hole, and think it will be an issue for you, notify the staff and I read on TA that they will hang an extra panel for you.

The junior suites are quite nice and bigger than most hotel rooms I've stayed it.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand serenis

Our room had the wall in, not frosted, a complete wall, so those rooms exist as well.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand serenis

It didn't particularly bother me, but I wasn't exactly a fan of it... and I've not heard anyone who is... what on Earth possesed the designers?

Don't let it put you off a great hotel, though.

scotland
Level Contributor
748 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand serenis

Lazygal were you in a junior suite? It wont put me off the hotel but its not very practical with a teenage daughter lol xx

scotland
Level Contributor
748 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand serenis

Oh nadin i hope they do for me x