We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to buy for the trip

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Topic
Things to buy for the trip

For our trip I wanted to buy a few things but would like your suggestions as to which brand and website did you get it from in the USA.

Mosquito/bug repellent

Suncreen lotion

Pool floats - inexpensive that doe snot take too much space. WIll I be able to inflate them at GP

What kind of eye glass straps - both for prescription sunglass and regular prescription glasses, the ones that can hang on the neck.

Lastly, I will be taking my iphone and use it's camera for pictures. I like to take pictures and wanted to knwo if it's ok to carry it with me to the pool area, I hope people are ok with that. What do you use as a waterproof camera. The waterproof casing for the iphone is expensive and I don't wanna ruin my phone if water leaks.

Can I be able to make call. I am on ATT, do I need roaming. Is there free wifi in the lobby or any other area? Do you guys carry your iPads?

When should I book with AGI travel, 1 or 2 weeks before our trip.

Also, want some help with the itenarary -

5 night sso very little time and want to do do a few things....

Nov 16 th afternoon we arrive, so will be in teh resort that day...

Next day - thinking of going to either tulum ruins in the morning and then coming back in teh afternoon and going to coco bongo at night.

or go to Xplor park and thenc ome back and go to coc bongo as xplor is closed on sunday.... is the tulum ruins also closed on sunday.

Sunday - in the resort or do tulum depending on what we did the previous day.

Monday - tueday - resort segway tours, beach pool etc.

What do you guys suggest

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to buy for the trip

the best repellant is ultrathon by 3M at REI

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to buy for the trip

I pack very light for Akumal, and only take carry-on luggage (Med size rolling bag plus small backpack/day pack). One, I find I don't need a bunch of outfits in Akumal so I have learned not to overpack clothes, and two, I absolutely can't stand waiting for checked luggage. I'm inpatient. So when it comes to sunscreen and bug spray, I buy that stuff when I get there (that's how I roll pretty much anywhere I go, not just Akumal). It can cost more to buy it there, but I justify it by not waiting in line at the luggage carousel.

I take my iPhone and use it for photos also. I put it in a small plastic dry bag that I think I got at REI. It is clear, and you can actually manipulate the phone screen without removing it from the bag. These things run $15 to $20. You can probably find one at Wal-Mart, or any sporting goods store. I've had mine easily 5 years and have taken it on some rugged trips snd it has not leaked. The cheaper but perhaps somewhat less safe option is to put the phone in one or two zip-lock sandwich bags.

I have AT&T and as I recall you need to call them ahead of time and enable internstional roaming. If you'll be there a while you can get a Mexico plan for one billing cycle. Not really necessary though if you don't plan to make many calls.

Have fun

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to buy for the trip

I personally don't buy those personal care items on line.....

Any brand insect repellant with over 25% DEET,

Sunscreen.............I use a 50 or 60 protection level and it works great...

I don't recommend buying these items at the resort.......they'll charge an enormous premium for sunscreen/insect repellant, and inflatable pool toys, candy/snacks, toothpaste, TUMS................anything travellers are apt to forget to bring with them.............after paying $23.00 for a small bottle of sunscreen, you may think twice next time.................buy inflatables at a dollar store....the resort will inflate them for you, usually no charge......... we leave them behind for others to use when we leave for home...............hope this helps :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
941 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to buy for the trip

With AT&T I suggest the texting package. Doesn't cost as much as calls do.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,249 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to buy for the trip

Tulum is open 7 days a wk

Transfer - 1 wk before is fine - ask if AGI carries / sells reef friendly sunscreen

USA Transfers has it

Otherwise great iterarary

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to buy for the trip

We pack our own insulated mugs for our cocktails at the resort. Keeps them nice and cold, so you're not throwing out half-drank cocktails - that have spoiled in the heat. Also, it's nice because you don't have to visit the bar as often :)

We've tried many mugs over the years, and the 20 ounce Bubba Kegs are our favorite. The girls we travel with even 'bling' them out, which makes for a great conversation piece at the swim up bar.

My suggestion on your itinerary is to not plan too much. We made the mistake of planning excursions every other day of our first trip to CUN...and we ended up feeling rushed through the entire vacation. Now, for 7 days we only plan one or two so we can relax by the pool and enjoy our resort.

I always pack a big collapsable beach hat, chewable pepto, and a bar of DIAL soap to have in the shower to rinse with after being in the public pools and ocean all day.

Have a great time!

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to buy for the trip

Well since we will be taking AGI for our transfer, can we stop somewhere on our way to the resort to pick these things up? If so where and which store.

Also, is using repellents on skin safe?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to buy for the trip

AGI may charge you to stop at Walmart...USA charges $30USD. For us, once we get thru immigration in the CUN airport, we START our vacation and that does not include forarging for sunscreen and repellent. It's so easy to find it/pack it at home.

I only use the repellents (w/DEET) after sundown and I wash it off before going to bed...never had a problem.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to buy for the trip

I have never had an issue using insect repellant, nor do I personally know anyone who has......

10. Re: Things to buy for the trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 15:18