We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ABR and Sunwing

Montréal
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
ABR and Sunwing

For our March vacation, we are looking into several options, but the most interesting so far is booking ABR with Sunwing. They have a very good special! However, they sell only Oceanview category and the sales rep told me it was a `` run of the house``. What kind of room can I expect? A standard room? A superior one? Thanks!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ABR and Sunwing

Hi Famille:

The hotel itself it basic - make sure you check out the reviews here to confirm it is the kind of place you want. The oceanview are the more upgraded rooms, there is nothing superior about them, though they are satisfactory. The photos people post with their reviews will give you a good idea.

We are trying the hotel out for the first time this November.

The reason people love the place is the location, location, location. The snokeling is good and you will almost certainly see and snorkel with sea turtles. The little town of Akumal is there and there are some fun dining options in and around the area.

If you are a room snob, this isn't your place, but if you are adaptable you will probably enjoy it and maybe even fall in love with it.

Happy trails!

Montréal
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ABR and Sunwing

Thanks Jacalope... in fact, we are looking into ABR for its location and its beach and the fact that its reasonnable prices will enable us to explore the area without feeling guilty! I was wondering if the difference between rooms was a matter of size (after all, we will be 2 adults & 2 kids) but if it is not the case, then ABR will be perfect!

Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
570 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ABR and Sunwing

Buildings 5 , 6 , 7 ocean view, they are the newest at the resort.. I like building 6 . Next to the main buffett and lobby. #5 is behind the swimming pool. #7 farthest away , but small resort , easy to get around.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,846 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ABR and Sunwing

And get a private trasnfer from the airport to the hotel

Sunwing is notorious for the slowest (2+ hr) bus trips

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ABR and Sunwing

Famille: we also like the private transfers, the one we use is $135 round trip (might be closer to $155 for 4) and it is so nice to leave the airport when we are ready to go.

As for having 4 in the room, consider requesting room 535 as it has some extra room and is located near the snack bar.

Jacalope

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
645 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ABR and Sunwing

Bonjour Famille,

Ton acronyme ABR veut dire quel hotel ?

Germain

Gatineau

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,846 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ABR and Sunwing

ABR = Akumal Beach Resort

www.akumalbeachresort.com

Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ABR and Sunwing

Make sure you read all the reviews. ABR is older and very laid back.

It may be perfect for you and exactly what you are looking for but it is a 2 - 3 star in my opinion.

I'm trying to be politically correct because the people who go there, LOVE it. They like that it is not pretentious or posh. They love the beach and the snorkelling, the closensse to Akumal and the staff is great.

For us, to do an AI out of Calgary, for the same price we choose to go to an higher end resort and spend the day snorkelling in Akumal. Just my own personal preferance for a place with better rooms, high end liquor and better food instead of the great snorkelling outside my room.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
645 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ABR and Sunwing

Merci !!

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
645 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply