We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Community of...
Level Contributor
325 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Coba ruins

I'm interested in taking a day trip to the Coba ruins during my stay at the GP in February. Approx how much is the cost and how long is the trip? We have already done Tulum, so don't want to repeat that... but have heard Coba is worth seeing as well.

TIA!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Coba ruins

Lots to see at Coba, IMHO, it's way better than Tulum. To the best of my recollection, the drive from Akumal is a bit more than an hour - mabe 75 minutes.

As for cost, that depends on how you're doing the trip. If you're on your own, then the bus is going to be the most cost effective but I've no idea of where you'd catch the bus or the details of doing it that way. Another option would be to rent a car which would give you the flexibility of being on your own schedule but don't forget to factor in the cost of all the insurance (which will bump the rental cost considerably). If you want to do it with a tour, I'd highly recommend Yucatreks - that's who I went with. Their tours are very small (12 people max), so totally not a cattle-drive mentality. Mitch is both a great guide and an all-around nice guy. The cost for that would be $102 per person and includes lunch, a cenote and a stop at a Mayan village, plus drinks and snacks en route. I wasn't impressed with either the cenote or the village but the delicious lunch and the ruins themselves justified the cost of the tour for me.

http://www.yucatreks.com/cobatreasures.htm

Edited: 31 October 2012, 12:53
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Coba ruins

As of Feb. 2012 admission was $57.00 pesos, bike and "trike"rentals were $10 USD approx. one-hour guided tour was $40 USD (can't remember peso amounts). I highly recommend the guide - seems steep but he/she will explain so much and ma ke the ancient city come to life. Hook up with another group to offset maybe.

Also you should read under "Ruins" on the right side of this page Top Questions for more info. on methods of transportation.

Have fun.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Coba ruins

there are some fantastic tools on the internet to make decisions like this. look at them on gmaps and youtube

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Coba ruins

We took a taxi from the GBP, a couple of years ago it was right around $100 for round trip. We got there early (9am-ish), before the bus tours arrived - highly advised. The taxi driver waited while we toured, he said he would wait as long as we wanted. We rented bikes and headed to the back, to the big pyramid that you can walk up, first thing. We had it pretty much to ourselves at first, but by the time we were climbing down a lot more people had started to arrive. We have pictures of us climbing it with just US in the photos - much nicer than having a whole herd of people going up & down with you! We took our time biking back, stopping at all the different structures. There are websites you can find that will tell you a bit about the history, etc. We had an elementary-age boy with us that was much happier going at OUR pace rather than listening to a guide, but that was our choice - I know many people like the guided tours, we're more about seeing things. Print out some literature about the Coba ruins and take it with you if you want to do it without a guide.

We were back at our resort for a late lunch - the whole thing cost the three of us around $150-175 including a tip for the taxi driver. We liked being on our own schedule - and it was important to us to do the ruins early in the morning before the heat of the day set in, but no matter when you go, take plenty of water!

Have fun!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Coba ruins

Agree with you, sand. I am not much for hiring guides and much prefer things at my own pace. I have done it at many ruins sites in Mexico, the Forum in Rome, etc. Really enjoyed all and learned a lot at my own pace.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Coba ruins

We prefer to do things on our own too. Also, the tours tend to arrive in the afternoon (it's HOT & humid!) and takes twice as long than private or DIY.

Last year we rented a car from our hotel (aprox $60-$70 + gas) and it was about 1.5 hours from Akumal, we arrived at Coba at 9am. Very easy drive, great roads, fantastic signage, no problems at all getting there with a Map (we used a Mapchick map ((can be purchased online)) which has a TON of useful information). We hired a guide for the first part of Coba, $40. The information was useful, but we could have read up on it prior and got the same information. Although we would probably hire a guide again, though, because it's a donation to a great cause. Once we were through with the first part, we rented bicycles, because it is a good walk to the big pyramid and the the breeze on the bikes was heaven. The climb up the big pyramid was awesome (and hot!)...you cannot climb Chichen Itza any longer and not sure how much longer we will be able to climb in Coba, so have someone stay at the bottom to take pics of you. Bring bug juice...ur in the jungle! On the way back to Akumal we stopped at Gran Cenote for a lovely dip in the cool natural waters. Admission was about $5 and we had our own snorkle gear. We were back to the hotel by 2pm. This was our FAVORITE day of vacation last year! We leave tomorrow for Akumal and I plan to take my husband and brother in law to Chichen Itza (they've never been) and we will rent a car again from the hotel since it worked out so nicely last time.

Have a wonderful time!

Oshawa
Level Contributor
309 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Coba ruins

Did this excursion in May and it is exactly as described above and worth the cost. A highly recommended day trip. I say that failing to visit the sights, culture and people outside your lavish resorts of Mexico 'ruins' your trip.

8. Re: Day trip to Coba ruins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2013, 10:22