We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach in front of GBP sian Ka'an...?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Beach in front of GBP sian Ka'an...?

I am planning a gals trip for my birthday next month and haveseen many positive reviews for this hotel. I have been to the mayan riviera many times, but have often stayed closer to Playa del Carmen, so I'm not that familiar with this area. A good beach is high on my list in terms of vacation enjoyment.

I have seen many contradictory comments about the section of the beach reserved for SK clients. Can someone please elaborate? Do we need to be wearing water shoes for swimming? What about just walking the beach itself- shoes needed?

Thanks for wading in -pun intended!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach in front of GBP sian Ka'an...?

Some on this forum say yes, which I find surprising. I was there 2 months ago and while there were a few big rocks, they were easily avoided if you just looked down (the water was clear enough to see). I didn't bring/need water shoes. There was a crew removing the big rocks the last few days but i imagine it's a neverending task....

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach in front of GBP sian Ka'an...?

I've never had a problem with rocks on the beach. The sand has always been fine.

In the water it is a bit different. There are rocks of various sizes that you can usually see and step around. I still wear water shoes so I don't accidentally stub a toe.

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach in front of GBP sian Ka'an...?

Beach is good as stated above . Water entry is good at the Coba beach and the SK beach , but other areas you might want to go are very rocky. I would suggest bringing water shoes. If you need them , then at least they are there.

Toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach in front of GBP sian Ka'an...?

I just got back. I did wear water shoes and found it fine. I met a couple at the pool who each broke a toe on the rocks. Most of them were big and easy to spot in the water, but there were apparently a few strays.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,636 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach in front of GBP sian Ka'an...?

its a 5 of 10 for beaches - not great/ not bad

Big drop off rather than a gradual entry ino the water with rocks and sands with big rubber bags of sand

Alberta
Level Contributor
355 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach in front of GBP sian Ka'an...?

The tide was high during our trip. There was poor water visibility and broken toes for others. I'd recommend water shoes. After the first stubbed toe, I used mine and was glad I had them. Never been sad that I took them "just in case." And for $10 or so from Walmart, why not save yourself the pain?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach in front of GBP sian Ka'an...?

Thanks to all the great Canadian tripadvisors who responded to my questions!

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach in front of GBP sian Ka'an...?

Ottawa Gal,

We stayed @ the Sian Ka'an in July and absolutely LOVED this hotel. We are avid golfers and that is one of the finest courses I've ever been on. Can't say anything negative about the property. We've been down many times and have been going for years staying from Playa to Tulum.

I have to give this beach a 4 based on two things: beach whales and crowds. I've never stayed at a "Super" resort so was not accustomed to being stacked on top of one another on the beach. We usually stay in a very small 2 star type of place.

With this being said it is worth a day trip to Tulum for a beach day. I suggest La Zebra and certainly a beach day in Akumal Bay. Vancouversundog has a post you can look up called the "Tulum Beach Crawl" that is awesome.

I always take the shoes!!!!! They are UGLY but saves a broken toe!!

Edited: 14 November 2012, 00:22
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,636 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach in front of GBP sian Ka'an...?

thanks Julie - glad you enjoyed both the golf and the Tulum beaches

Don't forget my Akumal / Yal-Ku golf cart tour

Let me know if you are ready for your next experience - I can come up with a couple more

Edited: 14 November 2012, 02:37
10. Re: Beach in front of GBP sian Ka'an...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2013, 10:17