We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from GBPSK. Any Questions?

Toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Back from GBPSK. Any Questions?

message here or PM me :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from GBPSK. Any Questions?

How was your trip Jenabee? What a la cartes did you try? Will you be posting a review?

Digby, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from GBPSK. Any Questions?

did you have a regular junior suite? What vacation company? Which building were you in? How was trip from airport? What was the weather like? sweater in the evening? - Hope you had a great time:)

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from GBPSK. Any Questions?

Welcome back jenabee. I would love to hear all your comments about the resort. In particular which room type did you stay in? I am anxious to know if staying on the second floor would cause you to hear all the movements in the room overhead.

Toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from GBPSK. Any Questions?

Hi Guys!

Simon YYZ:

I will be posting a full review, but I have to get my pics on the computer first :) But by the end of the weekend I'll get to it. We had 2 dinners at Alux. The service was excellent. Soups and starters were outstanding, but the Mains fell flat for me. I had the Pheasant Canelloni the first night and my partner had the bass and shrimp combo. We both felt that the sauces that went with each dish were a bit mismatched. The canelloni could have been fab dish but the flavour of the pheasant was lost on the sweet red sauce. Sorry to be nit picky, but I work with Food and drink so I'm very serious about it. I'll write more in my review. Maiko was nice, again great service, the fish curry and duck were good. We both thought the filet at Don Pablo was the best we'd ever had. A few people had given me the thumbs up on this dish before we left and kudos to you all because they were right. Nice intimate environment and great service. The chocolate dessert was out of this world!

Tartan and Franag:

The weather was fantastic. No rain, just a few clouds in the afternoon. There were a few evenings that were chilly, but they were the nights that we had dinner at the a la cartes on the other resorts. Being closer to the ocean there was more of a breeze and a light sweater was helpful for the tram ride back , as well. Otherwise, the evenings at SK were perfect. No wind, gorgeous stars and lovely cocktails on the terrace.

We traveled with Transat. They've never been my favourite. If I have to choose, Sunwing is who I'll travel with. The trip from the airport was brutal. Customs was backed all the way up the escalators and down the hall. It took almost 2 hours. Then we had to wait for our transfer. The Transat reps were scrambling forever to sort out who was going where. Needless to say, after the 2 hour ride to the resort, we were very happy to have a margarita and enjoy our Jacuzzi suite. We did not find that there was any noise at all in our room. However, We sleep with a white noise sound each night and I wear earplugs because of my boyfriend's snoring. I absolutely LOVED this room. They layout, the sliding doors in the bedroom and living room were great. We normally had a jacuzzi around 5 pm to watch the sunset, or around 10 pm to watch the stars. We also enjoyed coffee on the rooftop each morning. We were in room 40923 which was a little further away from the lobby but a short jaunt to the pools. We found the room to be very private. I'm not sure how anyone on the second floor could hear noise from the jacuzzi unless they slept with their windows open. We were right under the jacuzzi and couldn't hear a thing while it was filling up or even when the jets were on. I would highly recommend upgrading to the jacuzzi penthouse. If you love a nice bath gazing at the sky and treetops or a coffee with the sunrise, listening to the birds, it's the way to go. We live in downtown Toronto and the room was bigger than our condo!

Oh yeah, we had a great time:).

Digby, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from GBPSK. Any Questions?

others have been saying the sat night "gala buffet" at Sian Ka'an has been downgraded? DId you eat there last Sat night and have any comments on it? Did you hang at the beach most days? I'm curious what it's like at the actual resort during the day? BTW, thanks for all the info - heading there in a few days:)

Toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from GBPSK. Any Questions?

We didn't visit the buffet on Saturday, but I would recommend it if you're going to do the buffet at all for dinner. I can't compare, but i have heard that it's not as elaborate as it used to be. We ate so much all day that we weren't fussed about the buffet at night. We preferred the portion control of the A la Cartes at dinner.

We did hand at the beach a lot. It was nice and there is decent snorkeling if you walk down to the Akumal section. The resort seemed very quiet during the day. However, we did spend a few days at the pool and it was nice. We were so sad to leave yesterday... they had a band with drums, accordion and guitar playing at the snack bar and then again in the lobby while we were waiting for our transfer. You'll love it. Such a great spot! The food really is great. I've heard people say that there was more selection at the other resorts as far as their buffets but quantity does not mean quality. The quality at SK is remarkable compared to the other resorts.

Digby, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from GBPSK. Any Questions?

from the beach area, where did you usually go to eat lunch?

Toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from GBPSK. Any Questions?

The buffet at Tulum was good. Probably the best of the other resorts, but make sure you go to the one that is furthest at the north end of the resort. Other days we'd just hop the tram back to SK and eat over there where it wasn't as busy and the food quality was top notch. There is also an outdoor snack bar at Tulum that has pasta, burgers, fries, nachos etc. it's not too far from the SK beach.

Digby, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from GBPSK. Any Questions?

we stayed at Tulum a couple years ago and enjoyed the main buffet there:) I wondered if Coba buffet would be closer and as good.

Toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from GBPSK. Any Questions?

Coba was the farthest from the beach. The tram will take you there, but we figured if we were going to take the tram we might as well go back to SK