We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Sirenis vs Riu Tequila

Calgary, Canada
14 posts
Save Topic
Gran Sirenis vs Riu Tequila

Hi there

I'm booking a trip in December for my family (of 5 adults). I'm trying to decide between the Gran Sirenis and the Riu Tequila. I've looked into both online and there are pros and cons to both. No room service at Riu Tequila but you can use the other Riu resorts, Gran Sirenis is on a beach and has room service but limited a la carte restaurants can be visited per week amongst other differences. It's a bit difficult to understand a place based on just online info though so if anybody hear can give me their opinion on either resorts, Id appreciate that! The prices for both packages are similar with GS being slightly cheaper. Thanks in advance!

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Sirenis vs Riu Tequila

In my opinion the biggest difference is their location. Riu Tequila is located in the Playacar community in a hotel row, with an access to a fairly good swimmable beach that is also good for the long walk but no snorkeling right there, close to PDC if you want to go in the town. The pool is smaller at Riu Tequila.

Grand Sirenis beach is very limited, mostly rocky and you can not walk along the beach for the long time. The pools are bigger there and the location is quieter (which is a plus in my books but being a beach person I would prefer Riu Tequila, it is a very short walk to get to the beach).

Kingston On
Level Contributor
270 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Sirenis vs Riu Tequila

We wee comfortable at Tequila, the walk to the beach is not far and also easy access to PDC. We generally want beach front but as I said Tequila was not far so we tried it as the price was right. Also we found Beer fountains were plentiful between the hotel and beach.

north bay ontario
Level Contributor
220 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Sirenis vs Riu Tequila

I have only stayed at Gran Sirenis and liked it. They have a smaller beach but there are two sides and the water is protected so it is calm. What we liked is that you could get a higher floor and there were elevators and the rooms were very nice with jacuzzi tubs and we stayed in villa 12 and could walk to everywhere. The swim up bar and the pools were the best and they have a lazy river. Also by the pool there is a restaurant that you can have a snack instead of going to the buffet adn there is also a beach restaurant where you can grab a snack and a cocktail. Buffet was great and air conditioned and lots of choices.

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Sirenis vs Riu Tequila

Stayed at the GS in May and booked to return this May coming. Personally I wouldn't say the limited a la carte is an issue, we had 3 per week and to be honest probably wouldn't use more than that if they were unlimited. Men are required to were long trousers/pants and closed toe footwear, while the restaurants have AC I still prefer shorts and sandals in that tropical humid climate. A quick visit to the room to change after the meal wasn't a hardship but the buffet food is so good we were quite happy eating there with the odd "treat" of an a la carte meal every other night or so.

Beach is a problem for some but we loved it, sheltered so swimming is easy virtually all the time and reasonable snorkeling onsite which is more important to us. Akumal beach is a very short taxi ride away if you fancy a change of scenery and a long walk on a lovely beach.

Can't wait to return to the GS and happy to recommend it to others.

Barry.

5. Re: Gran Sirenis vs Riu Tequila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 17:18