We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel gear for akumal: rent or buy?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
77 posts
41 reviews
Snorkel gear for akumal: rent or buy?

We will be staying at vim this summer and want to go to akumal one day to snorkel. I keep reading about how pretty this beach is and how much there is to see. I just don't know if its worth buying our own gear or just renting it on the beach. I found a set on swim outlet for 36/pp for a us diver brand for mask, fins, and mouth piece . Does anyone know how much it is to rent the gear from the vim resort or the vendors on akumal beach? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Snorkel gear for akumal: rent or buy?

It's not much, but do you really want to put a previously "enjoyed" snorkel in your mouth? Sure they wash them, but??? My advice, buy a mask & snorkel and rent the fins if you are worried about the extra weight. That way you also can make sure you have a mask that fits your face properly.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Snorkel gear for akumal: rent or buy?

Akumal Dive Center shows $6 for fin rental; $6 for mask rental. (beside LolHa restaurant)

www.akumaldivecenter.com/index.php?pg=prices

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,307 posts
3. Re: Snorkel gear for akumal: rent or buy?

Or buy a snokel from the dive shop and ask for a discount on your rental

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
77 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Snorkel gear for akumal: rent or buy?

Awesome suggestions! Thanks!

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Snorkel gear for akumal: rent or buy?

A decent mask that fits can make a huge difference in your snorkelling experience. I would at the very least bring your own mask and snorkel.

6. Re: Snorkel gear for akumal: rent or buy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 06:16