We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancun airport customs

pei
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
cancun airport customs

Going to Mexico for the 1st time and wondering about the airport . Is it big , how is customs like coming and going . Is the duty free any good for buying rum cigars and souvieners ect . What is best to use for money in the airport . Thanks, 3 more sleeps.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cancun airport customs

2 large terminals - lots to buy - credit cards are best in the airport as their duty free liq store is based on US $ - terrible rate for pesos - thus I use credit cards

excellent rum

Try the Fleur de Cana (18 yr old)

Some very nice Appletons.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 20:54
Toronto
Level Contributor
153 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cancun airport customs

Airport is large, like previous post 2 terminals. It's busy, but not a hustle and bustle like Toronto airport. Lots of choice for alcohol, cigars and cosemetics. Use credit or US$ in duty. Customs is OK. Keep it quick and follow the rules, your good to go. I've always had issues with customs in Toronto coming back home. Happy travels!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,263 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cancun airport customs

There's a great souvenir store - Los Cinco Soles - I think in all terminals. A little pricier than their stores in towns but they have a great selection of high quality merchandise. You can do a lot worse in terms of airport shopping. Ive always found a lot of tempting things there.

The price of alcohol is high compared with Mexican liquor stores, but (if you're flying non-stop and dont have to worry about liquid restrictions) the prices on things like Xtabentun are a lot lower than they are in the states, so worth buying at the airport duty free.

suitcaseready.com

pei
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cancun airport customs

Thanks for all the comments

ontario
Level Contributor
133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancun airport customs

We arrived Thursday Jan 31/13 @ 9:30 am and it took us 1 1/2 hours to get thru customs. Green lights were on at the booths but no one was home.

Other people at our resort also experienced the same on a late night flight on Feb 3/13

First time it has ever taken us more than 45 min to clear customs so not sure what was going on

Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cancun airport customs

I think most people will agree Cancun airport is a zoo especially during the next month or two. You really have to be lucky to get thru there quickly. When we book we try and get an early morning flight. I think getting in early before most of the other arrivals is a plus

Edited: 14 February 2013, 05:13
Thorold
Level Contributor
786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cancun airport customs

wow we arrived Jan31/13 as well at 1:30 pm and from landing to in the private shuttle in 45 minutes

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,424 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cancun airport customs

Quote: I think most people will agree Cancun airport is a zoo especially during the next month or two. You really have to be lucky to get thru there quickly

I do 3-4 trips a year - I stay away from the busy holiday times and it is quite quick and reasonable

I find USA airports much more a zoo

ontario
Level Contributor
133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cancun airport customs

I will say we did get a nice suprise on the way home after 11 days in Mexico we cleared customs in Toronto had our bags and were on the road in 1 hour.

WOW

Give and take I guess but the last 3 years we have had all early morning flights into Cancun and have always been thru in under an hour ---maybe lucky I guess??

Enjoy!!!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: cancun airport customs

Most of the time it takes less than an hour but last year in april and May 2011 it took us 3 hours! I hope it's not that long this march but I have a feeling it will be :-(