We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's Teddy (aka Paco) at VDR?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How's Teddy (aka Paco) at VDR?

Anybody at VDR in Aventuras Akumal that can give me an update on our Mexican boy? We miss him. :(

WI
Level Contributor
146 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How's Teddy (aka Paco) at VDR?

Hi!

Glad you made it home safe and sound. We saw Teddy looking up at your balcony the morning you left. He sat between your regular chairs most of yesterday and we tried to give him lots of loving. Many others have stepped in and tossed his ball. He does seem a little forlorn sometimes and misses you but he is so adorable that he will be OK until you return.

Oh....the wine glasses are still here, but not the ice bucket!

Take care!

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How's Teddy (aka Paco) at VDR?

Thanks for the update. We know he has a good life being a beach dog there and he will be played with and enjoy life just as he had before we were there. Altho, we had talked that if we didn't know he had such a good life, we would have looked at bringing him back with us. Don't know that our little Diego would have liked that so much tho.

Enjoy your last few days! :)

WI
Level Contributor
146 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's Teddy (aka Paco) at VDR?

Hi skv - ball

I took a picture of Teddy getting lots of loving today, People sure miss their pets when they are on vacation!

I will try to send you the pic by PM so you will know that he is getting lots of attention by random beach walkers as well as VDR guests.

I think he would miss the waves in Canada!

I hope you are adjusting to the weather change!

Boston, MA
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How's Teddy (aka Paco) at VDR?

Hi there. Hopefully you will get an email because I am responding to this thread. Teddy is still doing well on the beach in Akumal. I am not sure if you know this, but Teddy DOES have a family. They live next door to U Nah Kin condos in Adventuras.

Teddy is cared for mostly by a 12 year old girl. They also have a boxer and both are given regular walks. Teddy has a nice crate and lots of places to get out of the rain. I wouldn't say that he gets the same nutrition he would with a USA family, but the feed him daily. And folks like you and I ssupplement his diet with all kinds of stuff.

Yes, Teddy is a dirty beach dog and not cared for the way you and I are used to seeing. But he is in capable hands and they love teddy. For example, I snuck an extra snack to Teddy when I got back to the condo around 11pm. I was rubbing his belly when the mother started calling him. And I only stole him for 10 minutes. And despite a chicken snack, a big bowl of water, and getting his belly rubbed... Teddy went back home as soon as he was called. He definitely belongs to someone.

One last thing g that is sure to warm your heart. Teddy lives to tear the husk off of coconuts. He brings them to me at the beach and we go down to the water. He shakes the crap outta the coconut until the thing is peeled down to the nut. He even knows to wet it in the ocean to make it easier to remove the husk. Then he brings me the coconut and I throw it all over creation. He gets hot... Lies down... I get him a bowl of water... He drinks... Gets a belly rub. Then phase two us he dies a huge hole in the sand. I bury the coconut while he jumps all over me. Once it us buried, he dies and digs and digs until he finds it. Then he carries it to the ocean. Rinse coconut and repeat until he is tired. Once he even cracked one open with his mouth and drank the milk. Then a belly rub, more water and off he goes to some in rather adventure. But he always comes back and finds me. If I'm not on the beach, he scratches at the door... Never barks... Until I come say hi.

So don't fret, Teddy does have a great life. He is safe and has a family. If he did not, I would in fact take him to the shelter if not the USA. We have rescued three dogs off the streets of Mexico while vacationing. All three are with friends or family. We rescued our youngest dog from Tulum when we found her close to death on the streets of Tulum (4-6 weeks old). Her name is Tope (pun intended) and she is now in charge of our home.

Teddy is a great dog with a very decent life and has lots of friends. I will be sad to go home but know he will remember me when in return in January. And I am planning to bring him to our vet in Tulum (Dr. Juan) for a physical and anything his family can't afford.

If you would like pictures of teddy playing with his coconut contact me and provide an email address.

Frank

Edited: 11 September 2013, 06:59
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How's Teddy (aka Paco) at VDR?

Oh my goodness - I do not know Teddy, but these posts really warmed my heart.

Much luv from me to the animal lovers here at TA.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How's Teddy (aka Paco) at VDR?

Thanks for the update Frank. My husband & I talk of Teddy often. We are planning on being back there at the end of January and were hoping that Teddy would still be on the beach during the day. Wasn't sure if some people might complain of his digging. We would try fill up his holes as we were worried of people complaining & Teddy being banished from the beach. Good to hear he is still there enjoying it. Maybe we'll see you there in January? We'll be there last week of Jan & 1st week of Feb.

Thanks again!

fort worth
Level Contributor
920 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How's Teddy (aka Paco) at VDR?

You are a good hombre Frank.

Boston, MA
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How's Teddy (aka Paco) at VDR?

Teddy Update: It's kinda rainy here so teddy has been my project. Yesterday and today I cut out all his matted fur, then gave him a good trim and brushing. He looks like a new dog. I was I gonna give him a bath and then realized I'm an idiot. Who Bathes a beach dog!

Today, I did not see Teddy on the beach or at my door, so I went next door looking for him. The owners had Teddy on his rope/collar in the yard. As soon as he saw me he started howling. I'm not one to trespass so I went back to the condo. Teddy Howled and barked for a full 10 minutes and then someone released him. These folks are the caretakers for the condo in front of their place and apparently had been inside cleaning. They forgot about old teddy... But he reminded them!

They are a VERY nice family and love Teddy very much... Especially the young girl. He gets food, water, shelter and is loved. And then Mr. Smarty Pants has all of us tourists trained too! I rub him until my arm aches. When I stop the spoiled boy noses my and puts his paws on my shoulders (sitting down) until I start again. I am also supplementing his diet to which he dies not object.

Despite all the fun we have, Teddy has his own schedule and lots of other people to see daily. It really must be time consuming to be the mayor of Akumal. But he always comes back.

I will be sad to leave him, but I'll be back. He has a better life than me so I'm not worried and neither should you be. He will be here when you get back. Between the two of us he will have one hell of a January.

I have told the owners that Teddy has a thread on trip advisor. They LOVE that he is an international sensation. Don't be shy about saying hello to his owners. They speak English very well and have been very nice. Teddy lives in the house directly on the street to the right of U Nah Kin condos as you face the condo. Sign us out front.

PS feel free to bring Teddy a toy or some treats.

Boston, MA
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How's Teddy (aka Paco) at VDR?

Teddy Update: It's kinda rainy here so teddy has been my project. Yesterday and today I cut out all his matted fur, then gave him a good trim and brushing. He looks like a new dog. I was I gonna give him a bath and then realized I'm an idiot. Who Bathes a beach dog!

Today, I did not see Teddy on the beach or at my door, so I went next door looking for him. The owners had Teddy on his rope/collar in the yard. As soon as he saw me he started howling. I'm not one to trespass so I went back to the condo. Teddy Howled and barked for a full 10 minutes and then someone released him. These folks are the caretakers for the condo in front of their place and apparently had been inside cleaning. They forgot about old teddy... But he reminded them!

They are a VERY nice family and love Teddy very much... Especially the young girl. He gets food, water, shelter and is loved. And then Mr. Smarty Pants has all of us tourists trained too! I rub him until my arm aches. When I stop the spoiled boy noses my and puts his paws on my shoulders (sitting down) until I start again. I am also supplementing his diet to which he does not object. Man that dog can eat!

Despite all the fun we have, Teddy has his own schedule and lots of other people to see daily. It really must be time consuming to be the mayor of Akumal. But he always comes back.

I will be sad to leave him, but I'll be back. He has a better life than me so I'm not worried and neither should you be. He will be here when you get back. I'm here the second week of January. Between the two of us he will have one hell of a January.

I have told the owners that Teddy has a thread on trip advisor. They LOVE that he is an international sensation. Don't be shy about saying hello to his owners. They speak English very well and have been very nice. Teddy lives in the house directly on the street to the right of U Nah Kin condos as you face the condo. Sign is out front.

PS feel free to bring Teddy a toy or some treats.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 17:58
Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How's Teddy (aka Paco) at VDR?

You are awesome Frank! And yeah, we plan on bringing a bunch of stuff for Teddy. We are huge animal lovers as you are obviously as well. Its so great to hear about Teddy. We think of him every time we see a Golden Retreiver. He really added a lot to our vacation last year and we look forward to seeing him again in January.