We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Mass

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
columbus
11 posts
Save Topic
Easter Mass

Does anyone know of a Catholic Church hosting Easter Mass in the area?

Iowa
Level Contributor
291 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Mass

Tulum has a very large Catholic Church. 2 weeks ago Mass was at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday. I'm not sure how you'd find the times for Easter though. We took the collectivo and it was $3.00 per person, each way.

columbus
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Mass

Where did you take the collectivo from? We are staying at Eldorado Seaside suites. Thanks. Do you remember the name of the church?

Iowa
Level Contributor
291 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Mass

We just walked across the "interstate" /4 lane heading south and waited for the van/collectivo to pick us up. It's about a 15 minute van ride down (from the Oasis Tulum), we got off at the 2nd Tulum stop, crossed the street, walked approx. 2 blocks, and the Church was right after the city soccer field, on the right hand side. We asked a lot of questions and found it with ease. I'm sorry I do not recall the name of the church. It's beautiful though!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,839 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Mass

There is also a Catholic church on Fifth Ave in PDC.

For those staying at the Palladium they have Easter Masses Thursday through Sunday at 5pm in their chapel.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Mass

AppleColumus , read up on colectivos in general for trips off the resort . They are a tremendous value and run all day on demand north to PDC or South to Tulum . See the Top Questions . There is a smaller church in the Akumal Pueblo but I don't know Easter details . I will try to post details closer to Easter Sunday . If you request the colectivo driver will take you right to the Akumal Pueblo Church at the top of the small hill where he will drop off Pueblo locals . Most colectivos will go off the highway for both the Akumal Village/pueblo and/or the Chemuyil village , closer to GBP , to check for customers or on request . If your schedule is flexible you can get off in either of these small villges anytime for a safe walk around and maybe a taco or two and a glimpse of normal village life but no blockbuster tourist experiences and just catch a colectivo somewhere else to carry on with your day . The colectivos will go both ways from both places but only the southbound colectivos will enter Akumal .

I'll also try to see a shedule for the Chemuyil Church if I can .

The area around the Tulum church is very user friendly and simple to navigate with many more normal Mexican experiences to be enjoyed in that smaller and more relaxed townlike city . There are several shady parks and squares in that neighbourhood with ice cream shops and fruit shops and normal clothing stores and that sort of thing . Extremely easy by colectivo .

We saw a five year old boy being scolded outside this Tulum church's evening mass by his Dad , pretty obviously for fidgeting or some similar offense , that can be paricularly difficult for five year old boys . He was pleading his case pretty sweetly and my wife would have let him off with a warning and a hug but his dad was firm but couldn't help but be proud of of how cute we thought his boy was , all through smiling EYE contact .

Simple pleasures like this are easy to find by colectivo and we especially enjoy this in the cool of the evening when the people come out to stroll themselves .

Simpler pleasures of this sort can be harder to find in PDC as it is a much larger , spread out city but Fifth Avenue is made for tourist use and a church there such as Anna mentions would be super easy as well . There are a lot more blatant sinners in PDC so go there if that kind of thing appeals to you .

columbus
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Mass

Thank you. I will wait to hear the schedule of Masses. I would rather head to Tulum or a local church close to Eldorado SEaside suites. Thank you for you help. I know that the Grand Palldium has a chapel on site and I wonder if we would be allowed to attend Mass there. I could walk down the beach to the resort. Any thoughts?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,839 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter Mass

apple I asked the resort that question and no they don't allow non-guests to attend the chapel. Sorry.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,839 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter Mass

Found this info for the church in PDC

Nuestra Señora del Carmen

Calle 12 Bis / 15 y 20 Av. # 1 CP.77710

Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mex.

Tel. (984) 87-30-188

Ask for Carmita, otherwise Rosa.

igdelcarmen (AT) gmail (DOT) com

9. Re: Easter Mass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 06:17