We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report and thank you.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
333 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report and thank you.

First, thank you to the forum members who responded to all of my questions last week. Without you and without all of the information found on this forum I don’t think it would have been possible to put together such an amazing vacation at literally the very last minute. Akumal was exactly what we were looking for. It is a perfect location for a non AI vacation.

Day 1: Arrived at the Cancun airport where we were met by our driver. Stopped at the grocery store near Puerto Aventuras (can’t remember store’s name but kind of like a Mexican WalMart). Checked into Vista Del Mar. We were exhausted so headed next door to La Buena Vida for dinner. What a nice welcome to Mexico, we were seated on the beach near the water. Decided to turn in early.

Day 2: Watched the sun rise from the hammocks on our very large balcony (did this every morning) then headed out for a run. Ran all through Akumal, along the beach at Akumal Bay and into Akumal Pueblo. Was a nice way to look around and get a feel for where everything is. While in the Pueblo looked for the Catholic church. Asked some locals who were stopped at a little breakfast stand about mass time and found out only one mass a week – 8 pm on Saturday. Ran back to VDM for breakfast at our condo. Rented fins for the week next door at Akumal Dive Adventures. Snorkeled in Half Moon Bay. Water was calm, and only a couple of other people were out. We walked up the beach to the north side of the bay, swam out to the reef and then just floated along the reef back down to near our condo. Saw a lot of fish, but no turtles. Others said they saw turtles in HMB. Later in the afternoon went to Akumal Bay for snorkeling, and it was every bit as crowded as we were anticipating (but still enjoyable).

For dinner went to La Lunita. This was by far the most expensive meal of our trip and our least favorite. The setting and the service were amazing; the food was just okay. Not bad, not great. For the high price we were expecting not only good service but also great food.

Day 3: Walked to the highway and caught a collectivo to Tulum ruins. Decided to hire a guide and glad we did. He was really fun and added so much more to our visit than we otherwise would have gotten from our guide book. We arrived at the ruins about 8:30, and the guide stayed with us for just over an hour. DH and I went down to the beach, and when we came up the stairs back to the ruins around 10:30 we were amazed at the huge crowds that had arrived. Walking back to the highway against the tour crowds that were arriving was really a sight. Wish now I had taken a picture of the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people headed toward the entrance. Moral of the story, unless you enjoy enormous crowds arrive at Tulum ruins very early. As for the ruins, they were just okay compared to the others we’ve visited. The beautiful beach location and the close proximity to Akumal is why we chose to visit.

Back on a collective to Tulum Pueblo. Our ruins guide had directed us past the Catholic church, past the market to some streets that have little restaurants for lunch. Found a little place with a few tables outside. DH and I were the only gringos. Lots of locals were stopping by from work and grabbing a bite. It was quite busy, and the empanadas were out of this world. It cost only about $3 for a couple of empanadas and a drink. The most authentic Mexican food of our trip.

Collectivo back to Akumal and more snorkeling in HMB. Saw a HUGE ray. Dinner at Turtle Bay Bakery and Café. Was probably our favorite restaurant (ate there 2 dinners and one breakfast). The fresh grouper was delicious, and we appreciated the fresh vegetables. The bread they serve with dinner is worth the visit just for it alone…yum!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
333 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report and thank you.

Day 4: Decided to snorkel at Yal Ku Lagoon. Got there fairly early. So did some large tour groups. Still not overly crowded. Very beautiful and a lot of fish. A very good place for a beginner snorkeler or someone who isn’t very comfortable with the whole idea. Not sure I’d pay to go there again since so much great snorkeling for free in HMB and Akumal Bay.

Took collective to Playa Del Carmen for some shopping. The beach at PDC is breathtaking, but I have zero desire to ever return to PDC again. Crowds, noise and over bearing sales people. Just not my cup of tea.

Day 5: Walked into Akumal Pueblo thinking there was a market on Wednesdays, but we were mistaken. Still enjoyed the walk and seeing daily life going on. Chose to spend the day at Akumal Bay. Enjoyed snorkeling then had a great lunch at Lo-Ha. Fabulous guacamole. After a little nap on the beach it was out for more snorkeling. Wednesday was more crowded than Sunday.

Day 6: Before departure had to snorkel one more time. Was in Akumal Bay by 7 a.m. while DH sat on the beach. I was the only one in the water, and it was so peaceful. Swam out to the reef; was surprised at just how many more fish I saw when there weren’t other people around making a lot of noise. Swam back to shore stopping to say “adios” to the resident turtle that was there every time we swam by. Unfortunately we had to leave Akumal and return home.

Random thoughts: Akumal is very safe. I ran by myself in the morning, and many other women were also out running alone. People left their belongings on their beach towels without problem…even saw people leave cameras. Vista Del Mar, and Half Moon Bay in general, is quieter and less crowded than Akumal Bay. We didn’t mind the rocky beach or walking to everything, but if a sandy beach entry is a must then Akumal Bay would be a better choice. If you don’t want to walk, rent a bike or golf cart then AB would be a better choice. Since we normally do a lot of walking and enjoy walking, HMB was perfect for us.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,657 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report and thank you.

thanks for your report Lydia

The Market on Wed is small and actually near Turtle Bay

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report and thank you.

Nice report, too bad about La Lunita. My experience was similar, service was not too bad, there was only one other couple in May, but the food was not that great for the price. Too bad because they have a nice location.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report and thank you.

Did you not see many turtles while snorkeling? I thought there was a lot? You mention many fish a couple times but not turtles. Thanks.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
333 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report and thank you.

We saw turtles each time snorkeling Akumal Bay. Did not see them at Half Moon Bay but talked with others who did.

6. Re: Trip report and thank you.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 06:16