We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which currency do we bring for tipping?

new brunswick
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Which currency do we bring for tipping?

Going to Grand Palladium in a couple of weeks and wondering which currency they prefer for tips? I have american dollars left over from our last trip that I was going to bring for tipping but wanted to make sure this is still widely used in Mexico? I read an old post that said it is harder for employees to get their US money changed to pesos and does it cost them money to do so?

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which currency do we bring for tipping?

Take your $US as they are widely accepted all over the place. Then use Pesos for everything else. Order them from your bank a couple of days ahead is what we do, or just use an ATM down there.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,002 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which currency do we bring for tipping?

Since I need to get my Cnd money exchanged, I just get pesos from my local exchange house (lots of 20/50 bills)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
591 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which currency do we bring for tipping?

One issue to keep in mind if you are tipping in anything other than pesos - the Mexican banks will not accept any foreign $ that is torn or in rough shape.

We had a someone approach us to ask if we would give him a $20 (in good shape) for some smaller bills in rougher shape (that would be fine elsewhere) as he said they were useless to him as the MX bank wouldn't take them - so we took them off his hands.

Boston
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which currency do we bring for tipping?

So the locals would PREFER USD over Pesos? Is there a benefit for them in getting US?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,002 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which currency do we bring for tipping?

Locals prefer what ever is worth more

20 pesos over $1 US

$5 over 50 pesos

Give them 50 pesos or an equivalent amount ($4 US) ,they would likely take pesos or what ever makes you (the customer ) happy

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which currency do we bring for tipping?

The "magic number" is usually 10 because it's pretty easy to work with. Since there are currently 12+ pesos to the dollar, if there's a choice between a $1 bill or a 10p coin, they'd rather have the bill. If you're thinking about giving them a 20p bill or 2 $1s, give the $1s, etc. You can see where this is going - it's usually better to tip in USD - though obviously you can make it more equal by just giving more p. But good for you to be so concerned. There are enough people who undertip - or worse, don't tip at all. Enjoy your trip!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,002 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which currency do we bring for tipping?

I then overtip and use mostly 20/50 peso bills. As the OPp and some of us are from Canada, we need to exchange our money anyway

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which currency do we bring for tipping?

I bring a bunch of US ones and fives for tipping. If needed I use the ATM at the Palladium for pesos. Large bills (pesos) can be exchanged at the front desk. Large bills US can be exchanged if you have your passport. I just got smaller US bills from the concierge or bartender.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,002 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which currency do we bring for tipping?

those from the US will usually tip in US - easier for them

If you come to Canada (smile) please use Canadian $ although we are so nice we accept US$

Kidding aside, tip with what you have

Edited: 10 March 2013, 22:39
new brunswick
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which currency do we bring for tipping?

Thank you for your replies everyone. I will bring the US money that I already have and I'll also get some Canadian money exchanged into Pesos before I leave and bring both! Thanks again!