We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

Hi Everyone, my family and I are going to Coba at the beginning of April and can hardly wait.

One of my co-workers advised me to stay away from the lettuce in salads while at the resort since the lettuce is grown hydroponically and would most certainly cause diarrhea if eaten in a salad.

I've never heard of this, but sure don't want to ruin my holiday by not heeding good advice....so I thought I'd ask those of you who've been there recently.

How have other guests at the GBP founds eating the salads at the resort? Our family eats a ton of salad as part of our diet and would really like to eat the salads while at GBP.

Thanks

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,850 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

Cruise ships are usually the worst for viruses - ask the co-worker about this

BIG sigh

niag. falls, ont.
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

i never eat the salads or cold dishes with mayo or cold egg from buffets. just my rule for myself while on vacay. there are enough cooked veggie dishes to choose from to satisfy me.

that being said, i have had food poisoning a few times here in canada, and from restaurants considered "high quality"

it dosn't matter where you are, sometimes impossible to avoid.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

Logically, hydroponic lettuce should be safer than field grown - hydroponic equals no soil, no manure used, less chance of ecoli etc from that route (handling is another matter).

Poplar, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
289 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

Hi there!

I always get a grin when I see the 2 posts, Don't eat the salad and it says it is going to rain my whole vacation. Please don't let either ever hinder your vacation. We have not only eaten the salad at the Bahia, but the Grand Sirenis, Sando's , ABR, blah blah blah...and for your soon to be next thought, it will say it will rain the whole time but really it will be BEAUTIFUL! Have a wonderful vacation! Don't sweat the unknowns for some reason others try to get us to panic, been there done that!

Chilly

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

We were both here for one month and ate a huge salad every lunchtime and not ill once. Am sure you will be fine barring the sickness other guests may spread!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

We also try to get on a schedule where we are eating at the buffets when they first open for each meal - the food hasn't been sitting out as long, and the serving utensils haven't been handled by as many people. It works well for us, since we generally go to bed early and get up early - we're always ready for breakfast when they open the buffet, and since we eat that meal early, we're set for eating the following meals early as well.

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

Drink enough you wont have a problem. My philosophy anyway.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

In response to someone asking if my co-worker had been to the resort and had eaten the salad.

Answer is yes, He was the one who referred the GBP to us, but said that his wife ate the salad there once a couple of days in and was sick with the runs for the rest of the trip.

I an startiing to agree with the posters and my husband who says that most of the germs are going to come from the people frequenting the buffets.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,157 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

There is absolutely no proof that that it was the lettuce that caused your co-worker's wife's illness. Moreover, to get such proof, even at the time, would not have been particularly easy or pleasant and would involve stool samples and lab tests.

You may wish to consider, that amongst MANY other things, ALL of the following can cause an upset tummy:

- stress (and don't tell me air travel isn't stressful these days);

- excitement;

- too much sun;

- too much heat;

- too much alcohol;

- too many coconut-milk based drinks (it's a natural laxative);

- too many fruity drinks (ditto);

- too much food;

- spicy foods;

- different foods that your body isn't used to;

- minerals (perfectly harmless ones) in the local water that you're not used to;

- dehydration;

- and most of all VIRUSES. They're everywhere and they're out to get you (and no, I'm not paranoid!).

Now, given that very brief list, you can see that the law of averages (and logic!) actually dictate that it probably WASN'T the lettuce that was the culprit at all!

Still, look on the bright side, at least your co-worker wasn't try to scare you away from Mexico with tales of drug-running, kidnapping bandits having shoot outs in the streets!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

Exactly...they loved GBP....with the one caveat concerning the lettuce.

That's why I thought I'd get a second opinion for the people on the Akumel forum......I love my salads.